Mom pulls me away, worry woven into her brows. Her dyed red hair is a blinding flame in the sunlight. "Are you sure you want to do this? I know we drove all the way here, but it's not—"

"Mom. I'll be fine. I'll be with Keely the entire time."

"All right, but for the love of God, no swimming."

"You're talking to the girl who won't even step foot in a hot tub."

Mom's anxiety doesn't fade. I sigh.

"Come on, Mom. I'm not a little kid. I can handle this."

But I'm not a hundred percent sure I can. When I glance over the horizon at that blazing red lighthouse, my heart sinks and my blood goes cold.

It's because of the cliff's unique shape that so many people have drowned out there. There's a semicircle carved out of the rocks by the lighthouse, and when the waves are heavy, they swirl and collide to create a vortex. Like a toilet bowl, I guess.

I know what it feels like to be swallowed by it.

Mom grabs my hand and gives me a warm smile. "You're right. You can do this. And I trust you and Keely to stay safe."

"Obviously." Hopefully.

My parents get into the van and drive off. The Myers and I watch them disappear, waving the whole time. My parents are gone—this is really happening. Anxiety curdles in my stomach and leaves a stale taste on my tongue.

For a fleeting moment, I wonder if I've made a terrible mistake. But when Keely gives me a smile, all teeth, my worries disintegrate. I'm okay here. I'd said it myself—if there's anyone I'm safe with, it's the Myers.

Sun and Roger drive us downtown, and every street brings back memories. The bright green grass, the famous fish and chips shop with its pirate ship theme. Caldwell Beach is a fisherman's town with a steady population of five-thousand, not much of a tourist attraction, which was always good for us locals. Yet here I am, feeling like kind of a tourist myself.

They drop us off at Main, tell us to stay safe, and set us into the wild. Keely and I land right in Coffee Cabin. The bittersweet smell of espresso roasts in the air, and the comfortable palette of browns and oranges haven't changed a bit.

"A party, Keel?"

"Yep, down at the docks." Keely dips her straw in the whipped cream on her iced cappuccino and pops it in her mouth. "You're in, right?"

"I mean, yeah, I guess."

It'll be easier to reconnect with everyone with booze to help chill me out, but I'd figured that Keely and I would spend our first night just us, watching movies like we did last summer when she'd visited me in Toronto. I don't know, I feel like I need a minute to catch my breath before diving right back into Caldwell's social scene. Spiders crawl under my skin just sitting in this café, waiting for Miles to show up.

I fidget with the green and pink string bracelet around my wrist. Keely has a matching one, only hers is yellow and purple. Sunlight pours through the windows and lights her irises up like caramels.

"Nervous to see Miles?" she asks wickedly.

My face gets hot. "No."

"Yes you are. I can see it. Still think you two are gonna get married?"

"Oh my God, Keely." I hold my head down. "Stop. Please don't say anything like that to him, please."

"Oh, chill out. You know I'm not that much of a bitch."