Chapter 10

*****

The day with Eric's family was lovely. I almost didn't want to leave but we have an important appointment tonight.
Christopher walks with us through the Bureau to the control room. There is a door behind the main consoles that I've never noticed before in which he leads us through. It's a room very similar to our control room in Dauntless but slightly larger. "We have the Bureau camera feed in here. We usually don't have those available for public viewing but some of the events you've been to are on screen out there. Everyone was apparently interested in your dancing last night. Not much of your conversations could be heard and we keep it that way intentionally for security reasons," he explains.
A guard I'm unfamiliar with is working on the screens. He pulls up the footage outside the hotel entrance, in the hallway of my brother's room near mine, and another location. There is a fourth screen that's blank at the moment—the only dark screen in the room for that matter.
I hear a gentle tapping on the door we just entered through. Another guard opens the door. Tris and Max step in. I hadn't realized they were invited.
"I spoke with Christopher before lunch," Tris explains. I must look confused. 
"I was just curious, too," Max admits shrugging. "You've got this place running well," he says to my father-in-law. "It's a shame you didn't stay in Dauntless."
"Things could have been very different," Chris agrees. "I have a huge staff though, very dedicated."
Max nods and they chat while we wait for the time to elapse. Tris comes up to my side and takes my hand. "I couldn't just stand idly by. Besides, I want to know what she's up to and why she thinks she can just push her way into my relationship," she says irritably.
"She apparently has something against either Hosanna or me," Eric says. We both give him our full attention. "After lunch tomorrow, we'll need to meet with your guards, mine, and Aaron. She's been watching us, seeing who we trust most, and trying to get them to turn for some reason. They are the others she's tried to manipulate. She has some sort of vendetta against one of us or both and I need to make sure I can trust my men."
I frown. I trust every one of them with my life. Why would she mess with our most loyal guards? I see the dark screen come to life out of the corner of my eye. It's a mirror image of my brother. He puts something in his ear. "Testing, testing?" he says putting his finger up to his ear.
"Don't touch the ear piece. It's a dead giveaway that you're wearing it," Christopher laughs.
"Yes, sir," my brother nods.
"When we speak to you, don't move in acknowledgement," he continues to instruct.
"Okay," he says sighing. "From here on out, I'm not responding, just acting," he grins. He winks to the mirror before walking out of the bathroom. We follow as he opens his door and steps into the hallway.
"Where's the recording device?" Tris asks. 
"It's one of the buttons on his shirt," the man monitoring the controls explains. 
"Clever," I say.  I couldn't distinguish it from the others. 
On another screen, Nita walks out of a door and locks it. It looks similar to Emily's old apartment level—below ground. We follow as she climbs the stairs and gets to the main level of the compound—the higher security area we saw from the train. She walks through to the lab area and I finally notice what she's wearing. "Why is she dressed like a slutty Dauntless?" I question since she's wearing all black. I wouldn't normally say something like that but her cleavage is really showing, her shorts are too short, and her shirt is see through in the back.
"She's trying to seduce him," Eric responds. "Check out the tattoo on her spine," he says pointing to a camera showing her back.
"What is that?" Tris asks.
"Broken glass. She's pushing the damaged thing a little too far," my husband responds.
"I never noticed that," Christopher says surprised. "She's clearly not handling the labeling here well."
We observe as my brother descends in the elevator and Nita makes her way toward the hotel.  Tobias exits the elevator and crosses the lobby.  Nita is leaning up against the wall near the entrance when he walks out.  She's making it look like he's late, when she just arrived. 
"Sorry to keep you waiting.  Have you been here long?" he asks. 
She shrugs.  "Just a couple minutes," she bats her eyelashes stalking towards him.  "Come on.  Let's go somewhere to talk."  She leads the way and he looks at her tattoo as he follows behind.  She peeks over her shoulder and grins when she sees him noticing her skin, or perhaps her ink. 
"Nice tattoo," he comments.
"Thanks," she smirks. He continues behind her as they move through the compound.
"Is it just me, or is she wiggling her bottom a little more than necessary to walk?" Tris comments crossing her arms over her chest.
Max snorts laughing. "It's not just you," Eric agrees.
"Where are they going?" Max asks.
"It looks like they're heading for the genealogy room," Christopher informs us. "Have a team nearby awaiting orders. I don't want them leaving the Bureau."
"Yes, sir," someone responds over a radio. 
Tris looks concerned. My father-in-law explains to everyone else about where she's been going and the tunnel is nearby that location.
I listen in as Nita tells my brother where they are. He asks to see our family lineage and she points out the family tree.  She stands right next to the names so he practically has to lean over her to read them.  I hope he's not looking down her shirt because the angle of the camera shows a view of that. 
Tris scoffs beside me. 
"So... you brought me down here to talk," Tobias says leaning a hand against the wall beside her.  "What did you need to talk about?"
"I wanted to get you alone to size you up," she says.  "I also want to know your thoughts on this whole pure-damaged thing."
I can see as he shrugs from the ceiling camera.  "I don't know too much about it, just what I've been told," he responds. 
"First impression then," she says leaning her head back against the coppery wall.  That's making her chest stick out even more. 
He sighs roughly, "Honestly?  I think it's pretty harsh telling decent people who work hard and lead a city that there's something seriously wrong with them, that there's nothing they can do about it.  It's genetic and they're never going to change," he says.  That is very honest and I'm sure he actually means every word. 
She nods her head biting her lip.  "Good.  Then we're of the same opinion.  I have a proposition for you," she replies. 
"Shoot," he insists turning around and leaning against the wall beside her.
"First," she pauses and glances to the camera.  "You can't say anything about this to that girlfriend of yours," she says. 
I can see his brows raising in surprise.  "Why not?" he questions. 
"Go along with it," Tris whispers. 
"No," I shake my head.  "If he agrees with everything she says immediately, she'd know it was a setup.  He acted like this with Marcus, too.  He's playing dumb so she won't question him later," I explain. 
Nita sighs loudly and turns toward him, one shoulder still leaning against the wall.  "What I'm planning could be dangerous.  I don't want her dragged into this when it's not necessary.  I need your help, your skills.  You'd be protecting her from harm by not telling her.  You know how she is, she'd insist on being a part of this.  Her help would be completely pointless and hazardous," Nita elaborates. 
"What a load," Tris says.  "He'll be protecting me by lying to me?"
"I don't want her to get hurt.  That would probably be best," he nods looking deep in thought.  "Okay.  I'm with you," he agrees. 
"You also can't tell your sister.  She'll say something to her husband and he can't be trusted," she insists.  He makes a confused face.  "He's still a Divergent hunter.  She doesn't know but I've seen it.  I could have someone I know pull up the footage on the screens if you don't believe me."
"What a crock of..." my husband starts. 
"Eric," I warn him. 
"What?  She's lying," he motions to Nita defensively. 
"I know.  I just don't want you to swear," I say. 
"Oh," he responds apologetically.
"I had a feeling," Tobias nods, pursing his lips.  She's clearly playing on his insecurities.  I think my brother sees this and is using it to his own advantage.  "To be completely honest, deep down, I've never really trusted him."
They're quiet for a moment as if Nita is letting my brother fill in his own thoughts about Eric's supposed betrayal.
I look to Eric and he's frowning.  "He's lying," I tell my husband reaching for him. 
"How do you know?" he asks sadly. 
"Because he's my brother and I know when he lies," I say.  "He loves you."
He nods slowly. 
"So what did you want to do?" Tobias asks Nita. 
She smiles.  "Tonight, I'm going somewhere.  I need your protection.  Later, I'll need your skills with the control room," she tells him. 
"Okay, I'm in," he agrees.  She leads him out of the genealogy room to a section that looks like it's used for maintenance.  There are pipes above them in the ceiling and ductwork all around.  She opens the door to what looks like a supply room for the janitorial staff.  I can see a series of mop buckets and jugs of probably cleaning products.  She grabs a bag and hands it to my brother.  He throws it over his shoulder but opens it to reveal two large knives. 
"I told you I need your protection," she says turning on a flashlight. 
"Where are we going?" he asks. 
"The Fringe.  I have some friends out there that want change as much as we do.  They're going to help us bring about change here," she explains.  "Come with me," she says. 
He follows but clears his throat, as if to say any minute now.  Hasn't she revealed enough. 
"Our security is just down the hall," Christopher says for my brother to hear through the transmitter in his ear.  "Stall her for a minute."
Nita opens some sort of hatch in the ground and tells my brother to jump first.  "How big is it in there?  I'm not too keen on confined spaces," Tobias questions. 
She smiles.  "I saw.  I always wondered what my fear landscape would look like.  I think a cage would be in there.  I don't handle confinement too well either," she admits. 
Security enters the room and Nita stands up alarmed.  "Juanita Ramirez, you are asked to accompany us for questioning," a guard says. 
"Why?" she asks stepping from foot to foot.
"This is a restricted area.  You are not permitted to be down here," he continues coming forward. 
My brother backs away from her.  He has the bag containing the weapons.  I sigh in relief as he moves further from her.  "Did you do this?" she asks him. 
He shrugs as if to say, 'I don't know what you're talking about.' 
"You are asked to come in because of what you've done and no one else," the guard says.  He's a couple feet from her. 
She paces briefly before turning and jumping into the hole.  The guards follow her down. "Come to the control room," Christopher tells my brother.  "You've done well.  They can handle her.  They have lighting on their suits.  There's nothing more you can do."  My brother nods, turning around, and lets the others do their jobs. 
We listen in and watch the screens as the men try to follow Nita through the tunnel.  Tobias enters the control room with us.  He sets the bag down and begins to take the two blades out and sets them aside.  He finds some rope and flares inside.  It takes longer than I was expecting for the guards to travel the entire route and we wait for them to find her.  They come out of the tunnel's end and she's not there, no tracks are even left behind signaling that she even came through that way. 
Christopher sighs irritatedly.  "Post guards at the entrance to that tunnel and exit.  Get some more lights down there and comb the entire path between the two.  Inform me immediately if she's found," he says. 
"Is there more than one way through that tunnel?" Eric asks. 
"What do mean?" Four inquires. 
"I mean that it looks like an old sewer tunnel.  There are probably several places where it would split off in different directions," he clarifies. 
Christopher scratches his forehead.  "Someone, find me a schematic of the ancient sewer system beneath the Bureau," he instructs his team. 
"You've never thought of that before?" Max asks. 
"I hadn't realized what it was but that makes sense," he says.  "She always traveled this same path before.  There's usually a car waiting outside for her."
"Do you have a view of the perimeter?  We can look for a vehicle surrounding the area, look for headlights or something," I add. 
"Do it," Christopher says to his staff. 
"I'm on it," the guard that's been assisting us confirms. 
"I've got the schematic," another man at a station informs us.  We move over to see what it looks like.  There are three different directions she could've gone. 
"We know the one is not where she went, send two teams to each of those places.  See if we can pull them up on camera if you have one," I say. 
There are two live feeds showing the end of the distant openings.  It looks like there are wire grates covering them.  There's nothing there.  "Rewind both feeds," Christopher says.  "There," he points to where she was earlier.  The grate was cut and swung open.  She replaced it and drove off in a vehicle like he said she did previously. 
"Don't pursue.  We don't know if she has a team in the Fringe waiting for us.  Let her go but if she ever returns, she will be arrested," he says.  "I want every one of those areas examined carefully for anything she could have planted.  Check for weapons or anything out of the ordinary.  Once I have the report on my desk, I want every one of those weak points sealed.  Until then, I want ten guards at each entrance at all times.  I also want her apartment inspected for any contraband as well as that closet in the janitorial wing," he orders.  The control room relays his words. 
"I think we're done for the night," he says turning to all of us.  "Four, thank you for your cooperation."
"Not a problem.  Eric was right, she did seem really manipulative now that I'm sober," my brother tells him.  My father-in-law pats him on the back. 
We go to leave, my brother with Tris.  "Eric," Tobias calls out. 
"Yeah," he responds. 
"You know I didn't mean a word of that about you?" Tobias confirms.  Eric nods.  "You are my brother and I love you.  You're even looking out for me when my head is too fuzzy to take care of myself.  Thank you," Toby says.  He hugs my husband and I can't help but join the hug.  Tris does, too.  And eventually, so does Max.  We all laugh separating. 
"Come on.  Let's get some sleep," I say slipping my arms around my brother and husband as we walk upstairs. 

*****

I lay in bed unable to fall asleep.  That whole situation with Nita was so tense.  I can't believe she just left.  She must be guilty of something worse than just plotting and planning. 
I sigh harshly and roll over on my back.  "You can't sleep either?" Eric asks. 
"No," I say softly. 
"I can't get my mind off of this whole thing.  I can't believe she was working so close to my mom or that she was trying to turn those closest to us against us," he says.  He sighs too and turns on the lamp on the nightstand.  I squint for a moment before looking up at him when my eyes adjust.  He's sitting up in bed rubbing his eyes. 
"Tell me something to get my mind off of this," he pleads. 
I roll onto my side putting both hands under my head.  I think about what else happened today.  "Your parents both spoke to Lizzy in her bedroom.  They wanted me to stay.  They didn't want to hide this from us.  Your mom asked her to consider staying here with them permanently," I tell him. 
He frowns.  "I hadn't thought about that," he says sadly.  "I think I prefer mulling over the problems with Nita."
I take his hand in mine and he looks to me.  He scoots down in bed and lays beside me staring into my eyes.  "Your mother put that idea out there, but she wanted Lizzy to make her own choice about it."
He sighs, "If I were her age and given the option, I would pick my parents.  They are wonderful people and I couldn't imagine a better life than to be with them."
"Oh?" I grin. 
"My father was reading a book to Eli.  After the chapter, he was teaching him important life lessons based on what he read," he explains and I nod.  That's pretty fantastic. 
"Your mom told her to take her time and decide.  She said to talk it over with you," I continue.  "As soon as your mother was out the door, Lizzy was in tears.  She felt so guilty because she already made her decision."
"Oh God, please don't tell me this.  Not tonight," he says turning away on his back.  "I only have a couple more days with her and I've barely seen her." 
"Eric," I say reaching for his hand.  I grasp it and he holds mine tightly.  "She chose you."
"Wait, what?" he asks dumbfounded.  He turns his face to mine. 
"She said she felt bad that she doesn't really know her parents.  They're like strangers to her, she just has distant memories of them.  She said you are the one she always turned to, you're the one she looks to for guidance.  She compared this visit to a vacation but she wants to go home after this.  She said anywhere you are is home," I elaborate. 
He blinks in shock.  "My sister said that?  Are you sure she wasn't kidding?" he asks. 
"She said she just got you back and she couldn't bare to be parted from you again.  She sobbed at the thought," I tell him. 
"I didn't even think my sister likes me.  I can't believe she chose me," he whispers the last part. 
I turn his face so he's looking in my eyes.  "See?  More people than you believe know how wonderful you are.  Eric, you've raised her since she was five.  You made her meals and played with her.  You taught her everything.  You are her brother yes, but you're also like her father.  You already are an amazing father," I say softly against his lips. 
He kisses me and I move closer to him.  He needs to know how much he's needed.  "You are amazing," I whisper into the night as we move together in love.

*****I hope you enjoyed the progression with Nita and Eric's family.  Thanks so much for reading!*****

Words of Wisdom:
I find it at times to be so easily snared by someone attempting to use you or deceive you.  You must always be on your guard.  They will use seductive words to trick you to get what they want.  Always stand firm.  Listen clearly to what is being said.  For me, I try to think... is this from God or does this completely contradict what God says?  I weigh out what I'm hearing and try to get a feel for what people are saying.  Will there be positive or negative effects from this?  I've found that the more I read my Bible, the more I understand God's nature.  I learn about what's good and right along with many examples of what not to do.  I encourage you to read the Bible and listen to God speaking.  Look at your surroundings and know that if you're being led, it's not just a coincidence.  God speaks through so many different ways.  I hope you follow the right path.

"Why, my son, be intoxicated with another man's wife? Why embrace the bosom of a wayward woman? For your ways are in full view of the Lord, and he examines all your paths. The evil deeds of the wicked ensnare them; the cords of their sins hold them fast. For lack of discipline they will die, led astray by their own great folly."
Proverbs 5:20-23 NIV