Chapter 10

(Hosanna's POV)

I braid Elizabeth's hair just after her shower as we sit on her bed.  She said she wants curly hair for tomorrow.  I hadn't asked what the special occasion is but she has a beautiful pink dress chosen for tomorrow.  I'm surprised she's so comfortable with wearing the colors.  I still struggle with it.  If there were grey clothing in Dauntless, I'd probably still grab them at the stores out of habit rather than choice. 
I admire her room as I move my fingers through her golden hair.  It's funny that I can still do this by touch rather than sight.  I grin.  Maybe Eric is right: once a Stiff, always a Stiff.  Her room is absolutely beautiful, though.  She has pink paper butterflies that she told me her mother let her affix onto the wall.  The walls are painted a sky blue shade and her flooring is cream colored.  The bedding is various shades of mostly pink with accents of black and light blue butterflies.  It's extremely soft to the touch. 
Janice knocks on the door before entering.  "I just wanted to talk with you before bed," she says softly. 
"Alright," Lizzy responds. 
"I'm almost done," I tell her. 
"You can stay, dear," she informs me.  I grin and nod.  She sighs before taking a seat on the end of the bed. It's funny how much Eric's mother actually does look like Jeanine but yet she's so completely different, too—she's thinner, her face is kinder, her hair is longer. Jeanine would be such a beauty if she wasn't so angry and harsh all the time. I shake the thought out of my head and listen in to what she has to say.  "I actually wanted to talk to you about a few things.  I want you to know that you have the choice to stay here or return to the city.  I know it would be difficult for Eric if you stayed, especially since you've been announced to his faction as his dependent.  I didn't want to say this earlier and hide it from them.  I just want it to be your choice and I know it would be tough for your brother.  Your father told me a lot about how decisions are made in Dauntless and it's difficult to go back on them.  But Eric always finds a way for things to work out.  I just want the choice to be yours entirely.  Discuss it with your brother if you want," she says. 
I finish with Lizzy's hair and she hugs her mother.  Jan looks like she's on the verge of tears.  She holds her daughter so tightly and kisses her head.  "I love you, Elizabeth," she whispers. 
"I love you, too, Mom," she responds with her voice cracking. 
Mom wipes her eyes and stands.  She squeezes my hand and tries to give me a smile before excusing herself and shutting the door. 
"She's going to be so disappointed," Lizzy whispers. 
"Why's that?" I ask tucking a loose strand back into her braid. 
"I'm not staying.  I knew she was going to ask the moment I got here," she responds. 
"Don't you want some time to think it over?" I ask softly. 
"No," she says shaking her head slightly.  "To me, this kind of feels like a vacation.  In the summer, we always went to the cottage.  It's like a place to get away from our troubles.  But in the end, we went home.  This feels like a nice place to visit, but it's not my home.  Home is wherever Eric is.  I know he's my brother, but he's always felt like so much more to me than just a sibling.  I know who my parents are and I know how they raised me, but I'm more comfortable with him.  When I'm scared, I want Eric.  When I don't understand something, I look to Eric.  He's my family.  These people may be my blood, but I don't know them anymore—not really.  I don't remember much about them, just feelings and scents and hazy dreams.  Eric is more real to me.  I know he's busy, but I also know that he'll always be there for me, no matter what.  I couldn't handle a life with him at a distance.  I just got him back and I can't lose him again," she says tearing up.  I hold her and rub her back comfortingly as she sobs. 
I never realized how she actually felt about him, that he means so much to her just like he does for me.  When she calms, I'm almost tempted to tell her how much she means to her parents, how her mother was held at gunpoint to keep her away from the city.  It's such a difficult situation but she can't help how she feels more of a connection to her brother and I don't want to make her feel any more guilty for it than she already does. 
There's a soft knock on the door and Christopher enters.  He pauses at the doorway.  "She asked you to stay, didn't she?" he frowns. 
Lizzy nods wiping her eyes with a tissue.  "May I?" he asks gesturing to the bed.  She nods sniffling. 
He takes a seat and I can't help but grin as the bed sinks from his weight, just like Eric.  He's so much like his father—both the greatest men I've ever known.  "I don't want you to feel guilty for your decision," he says to her understandingly. 
Lizzy frowns.  "But I..." she starts. 
He puts a hand up to stop her from protesting.  "It's plain for me to see who you are and what you want.  I would love for you to stay with us but I know that's not what you want.  I want what will make you happy, not me.  The Abnegation can be wrong from time to time.  Be selfish in this.  We love you more than you know, but I'd hate for you to live a life separate from the one person who's always been there for you.  You look to him for comfort, not us.  It's understandable.  It's been the two of you relying on each other for so long and we're probably just a faded memory.  I'll be happiest knowing you're well taken care of and where you want to be," he says.  I frown at how understanding he can be, how loving a father he is to let her go. 
She hugs her dad and I start to stand, to leave them alone but he grabs my hand.  "Stay, please?"
I nod when his green eyes meet mine.  When they separate, he puts her hand in mine.  "I heard what you told Hector.  I also heard what you said about Lizzy and it's not true.  You are her mother now.  You will raise my baby in our stead.  Teach her right from wrong.  She's had so much bad in her life, show her the good.  You have a gift, you can see good in any situation.  Help her to know that.  Don't let anyone tell you your opinions on raising her are invalid, especially pompous principals.  You are her parents now.  It's okay to ask for advice but always teach her what is right and good.  I have no doubt that you will," he tells me and I'm so touched by what he said and how he feels.  He knows people so well.  I hug him and kiss his cheek.  He blushes heavily and laughs. 
"Now, Elizabeth," he says turning to her. "I expect you to treat your brother and Hosanna with as much respect as you've shown your mother and me—more so since they will be raising you until your Choosing. Heed her advice and follow what she says even if you don't agree. She loves you and only wants what's best for you. Understand that what's best isn't always what you want," he advises.
She nods frowning.
"Even though you and Eric have already spoken on this, I feel it's important to reaffirm what you've said.  Do you mind if I give her a little advice on boys and how manipulative some can be?" he asks me. 
"No.  I'm sure you know more on the subject than me," I say. 
He grins.  I decide to give them some privacy.  I hug Lizzy before standing up, leaving them to talk, and closing the door behind me. 
Eric's leaned up against the door jamb to Elliot's room.  I can hear his mom singing to Elliot and Eric has a sad expression on his face even though it's a beautiful song. 
I come up behind him and whisper in his ear.  "What are you thinking about?" I say putting my hand on his chest.
"Nothing, baby.  I'm just glad we're here," he responds touching my hand. His expression changes. I'm glad, too.