XVI

it's snowing hard once tyler escapes with his coat zipped up all the way to his neck only to be covered with a thick woollen scarf.

this isn't normally the type of day tyler would leave his house on but he really wanted to see his new friend. he loves brendon of course but sometimes he wants to hang out with other people and now he had the chance to.

his teeth chatter as he walks and tyler wishes that he'd brought bluebell with him. she could've used a walk but she wouldn't be able to skate with him. she'd just fall and it would be dangerous.

at the sight of the starbucks he smiles and burries his neck a little further into his scarf once a gulf of wind hits him. it's not that cold but with the wind it feels much chillier.

josh is smoking and holding two drinks in a cardboard tray when he comes into tyler's view. tyler still thinks it's gross but he wills himself not to say anything.

"oh, hi josh!" he says cheerfully, maybe too cheerfully but that's just how he is. a little ball of sunshine.

josh reacts quickly, straightening himself out to greet him. "hey." 

"here." he says quickly right after.

tyler grins, grabbing the cup from josh's hand. "what is this?"

josh shrugs. "hot chocolate, i figured i'd be nice."

his heart speeds up, josh was thinking about him. he bought him hot coco! this must be a date. there's no way it isn't.

tyler's cheeks are pink and he's sure josh notices especially by the satisfied smile that graces his face. "thank you so much."

josh doesn't seem to think it's a big deal, he simply shrugs once more and drops his cigarette only to crush it with the heel of his boot. compared to tyler he looks unprepared to face the weather, he's only in a hat, a lined leather jacket and gloves.

"We're skating at the rink by the park." josh says. "is that alright with you?"

tyler has no problem with it. he smiles. "yeah, it's perfect."

josh seems content and without thinking he grabs tyler's hand. tyler freezes for a moment but he doesn't have time to say anything as josh starts dragging him down the street.