Bruise

Sweat dripped from Rey's brow and into her eyes. Blinking away the stinging salt, she threw even more of her energy in blocking the blows from Finn's training lightsaber. This wasn't his weapon of choice, but he had been roped into helping her adjust to fighting with her new double-ended weapon. They were back on Naboo at the temporary base for the day to meet with officials and unload all the cargo that had been donated to the cause.

After sitting through a couple meetings, Rey's pent-up energy was ready to burst. Her mind couldn't stop reeling from the strange moments she had the past night with Kylo. The events were bleeding into her current emotions, and during a more dull moment of the Resistance meeting, Rey quietly slipped out of the room. However, her departure had attracted the attention of Finn, who saw the conflicting emotions battle in her expression. He had followed her out to the hangar where she was sitting cross-legged on a cargo crate. She was trying to meditate. It wasn't working. Upon seeing Finn, she jumped up from her spot on the wooden box and challenged him to a sparring match.

Bringing them back to this moment.

With ferocious swipes, Rey countered every turn of the blade Finn wielded. She was careful not to hurt him, but to just parry her strokes with his.

He flashed through her mind. The brown eyes. The scar she gave him. His hand in hers.

The training saber suddenly made contact with her side, bringing her back to the current moment and the growing bruise at her hip. Rey looked over at Finn, who was plainly shocked he had gotten a hit in.

"Rey, you're off. What's wrong?"

Scared to tell the truth, she just muttered, "Nothing."

"Well, obviously not if I'm able to theoretically kill you, an actual Jedi. Just tell me what is the matter. We're friends, and we don't keep secrets from each other," Finn gave her an exasperated look. She knew he was covering his worry. She could sense it.

With a deep sigh, she resigned, "But if I tell you, you can't freak out, and you can't get mad at me."

"Promise."

Rey told him everything. About the connection. About the moment in the hut. About the throne room. About all the moments since then. The words just came tumbling out of her mouth, and part of her was relieved that she wouldn't be keeping anything from her best friend.

"What! Why! How! That evil man has gotten into your head, what if he has poisoned your mind and you don't even know it!" Finn sputtered.

"H-he wouldn't do that," she admitted softly, "not to me."

"Why wouldn't he? He killed his father! He is the Supreme Leader, Rey! I would know, I used to be in the goddamn First Order!" he threw his arms out, clearly frustrated by her lack of understanding.

"I don't know how to explain it, I just know! Deep down he cares. He is good. I know that he will not hurt me, and I know that he will turn. I've seen it."

Finn hung his head in resignation, "What if he's just making you think that? Tricking you into thinking he's good so you'll try to save him again, only for him to kill you! Or he could be trying to get into your mind to steal Resistance secrets! Rey, this is very bad."

"I understand where you're coming from, but I disagree. I've looked straight into his eyes, and I felt the honesty there. He is not deceiving me."

"I don't know what to say anymore. Or how to convince you otherwise. I feel like you need to go and have a good think on that."

With that, Finn set his saber down, turned on his heels, and strode out the door with a sigh. Trying not to let the tears fall, Rey caught her head in her hands. The tears came anyway, mixing with the sweat that still hadn't dried down on her cheeks. She got why Finn didn't understand her. Or want to understand her. She didn't understand it herself. Why was she defending Kylo? On paper, he was everything that she stood against. He was a monster. But Rey couldn't help but listen to the voice slowing growing louder in her head. Telling her that he was good. Could be good.

----

Kylo let out a deep sigh, the kind that could only be had in a peaceful sleep. This was the best he had slept in weeks. And the dream. She was in front of him. Rey. They were feet apart, but she was looking up at him with her gleaming hazel eyes. Smiling. At him. Her expression was contagious, resulting in the corners of his mouth easing up in a grin as well. How long had it been since he had smiled? Years.

He extended an arm out to touch her. Reaching forward his hand ghosted across skin. It felt so real. Still locked in the dream he curled his arm around her, bringing her closer to him. Then his eyes flashed open. Taking in a breath through his nose, he smelled the scent of a shampoo that was not his, and hair brushed up against his cheeks that was definitely not his either. Kylo then realized his arm was draped over...a waist?

This was real. This was Rey. Sirens began flashing in his mind as he realized where he was. Kylo had to get out of there.

----------

Lil' cliffhanger! Will Kylo be stupid or will Kylo be stupid? Find out next time on Keeping up with the Kardashians!

As always let me know what you think with a vote, comment, or whatever ya feel!