Chapter 16

I knock on Blade’s little brother’s room door nervously. I have to tell him goodbye, or at least say goodnight. A minute passes, and I finally hear him moving towards the door. A smile spreads across my face as he opens it. It’s too dark to see his face, but I keep smiling.

            “I need to talk to you,” he says, beating me to the point.

            I walk past him and sit on the unmade bed. I wait patiently as he shuts the door, walks to the window, and pulls away the navy blue curtains. The moonlight shines on him, making him glow in the night. He motions me to come to his side. My heart pounds as I place myself next to him.

            “My eyes,” he whispers at the window.

            I swallow my anxiety and ask him, “What about them?”

            His face turns my way and my hand flies up to my face hiding my gaping mouth. The baby blue of his eyes has vanished and has been replaced by a dark, bloody red. The picture of the screaming creature enters my mind and I back away from Blade. He shakes his head in shame, and looks to the moon.

            “I’m turning into a monster,” he says, breaking the silence.

            I shake my head and take my place next to him again, “No, you’re not.”

            He scoffs, “Look at me!”

            I laugh suddenly which makes him flinch, but he doesn’t look my way. How could red eyes make someone so sweet scary? He’s still Blade; cute, funny and a wannabe tough guy. One of the many things I’m worried about right now is how did his eyes change? I place my right hand on his left cheek, making him look at me.

            “You’re not a monster,” I whisper.

            Blade closes his eyes and puts his hand on mine, keeping it from going anywhere. His eyes open as I feel his other hand slipping around to the small of my back. He pulls me to his body, and leans his forehead against mine. His eyes are practically glowing red.

            “Blade,” I start to protest our embrace, but I see a spark of blue pass through his eyes.

            “What, Kaleidoscope?” he asks breathing deeply.

            I decide to talk about something else. “Your eyes…how did they become red?”

            His eyes widen, and he turns from me. Where his skin was touching me is now burning hot. I watch as he paces the room uneasily. I say my question again, and he stops. Even if these eyes belong to a monster, I can still see the sorrow in them.

            “I made a deal with someone,” he sits on the bed and looks at the floor. “I don’t think I’m allowed to tell you who.”

            “Sevals,” I mutter bluntly.

            His voice becomes almost bestial. “Never.”

            “Well, then who? Or better yet; why?” I feel like I’m practically begging.

            “I made a deal that says that if I don’t make you fall in love with me, I give up my life.”

            “Blade, what about Razor!” Why would he make a deal like that?

            “If you don’t fall in love with me, I will become his slave, and he will kill you!”