Chapter 1

Chapter One

I hold the smoking gun in my sweating hand as I stare at another lifeless body. How could I do this and not feel remorse? The heels of my black stilettos splash in his blood as I continue down the side walk of the hiding city. Am I one of the things that they hide from? Moments like this make me want to remember everything. I tap the man’s mask with the toe my boot half expecting a response, but judging by the amount of blood, he lacks any chance of survival. I want to remember what it was like to be scared and vulnerable.

            I hear the rushing of heavy shoes coming my way. Without even thinking, I sprint even though it hurts to run in these shoes. I do not have any other choice of footwear. Walking around bare foot in this place could be lethal. Maybe it’s better I don’t remember why I am like this. I dart behind a crumbling skyscraper and push myself against the alley’s wall cooling down my sweating body. I hear the men get closer to the entrance of the alley. Jumping behind a turned over dumpster, I stay in a stance that will give me a chance to shoot before they see me. 

            Footsteps come closer. “I saw her go in here!”

            Another man answers him. “She has to be behind there!”

            My heart beats uncontrollably as I wait. I failed to notice that this dumpster stands as the only form of a hiding place. How could I be so ignorant? I scold myself silently as I hold my gun steady and then I hear the guys stop. They try to make it seem like they left, but I have been dealing with their antics for months now. Then, I hear them talk again.

            “Who are you?”

            I scoff; I’d think these guys had common sense. Why on Earth would I say who I am to them? So they can take me back to their leader? No thank you. That’s when I hear a soft voice.

            “They call me Rain Razor.” His strong voice leaves a hint of sweetness. He sounds familiar.

            “Well, Rain Razor, who’s your master? Maybe we are on the same side,” said the other man.

            The Razor guy laughs as if in good company. “I have something better than a master. Back down and I won’t kill you.”

            I shake my head at this guy’s ego. These men have been chasing me for almost three months and have proven they have incredible talents in the ways of torture and murder. I once saw them take out some people hiding up in an apartment building. I shake my head of those awful memories and the phantom screams that still haunt my ears. I look around to find an escape. Maybe if they start a fight I can sneak away. This Razor guy barely sounds like relatively good company for me. I cannot handle any more trouble.

            “Back down? You don’t even have a weapon on you.” All of us can hear the unsure tone of the man’s voice.

            The Razor guy’s voice drops an octave. “That’s where you are wrong.”

            Feet shuffle and then what sounds like a quick shock of electricity echoes in the ally. The air grows drier, if that’s even possible, around all of us. No one says a word. I realize I have had my eyes shut the entire time. I open them and peek over the dumpster. There’s a guy with black hair, bandana around his nose and mouth, staring at a dark blue gun in his hand. How did he kill them? There’s not a drop of blood on the ground!

As I look closer, I realize the bodies have disappeared. His back stiffens and he turns his head my way. The golden color in his eyes seems to hypnotize me for a second. I know he must be something inhuman to be able to do that. I duck as he turns to face me fully. I look around for anything to escape again. There’s a hole in the chain link fence, but I don’t know if my whole body can fit through it.