Chapter 24

"Lady Sigyn."

The Allfather's voice booms through the giant chamber, and Sigyn squares her shoulders as she approaches. Her footsteps echo loudly, despite her best efforts to keep them from doing so, and Odin waves his hand at his guards. She lifts an eyebrow at the flippant gesture but keeps her mouth shut until the room is completely empty of other occupants.

"Welcome," Odin stands from his throne, walking down the few steps toward her. He's resplendent in his gold and silk-drenched robes, and — instead of his customary armor — he's wearing a brown leather overcoat that cascades down to the floor. "I am told you've spent much time in the palace while I was away."

Sigyn bows, her face near to the ground, "I have Allfather."

"Come, come," he motions for her to stand. "Dispense of such unpleasantries. After all, we are old friends, are we not?"

"Indeed."

The corner of his lip twitches upward, "Wonderful."

After a hefty pause, Sigyn frowns. The clothes, the smile, the friendly speech. Instead of putting her at ease, it's making her more nervous.

"May I speak freely, Allfather?"

He inclines his head, "Of course."

"Since we are such old friends," she replies, emphasizing the last two words, as Odin smiles. "Perhaps we could do away with all of...this."

The Allfather lifts an eyebrow, "This? I'm not quite certain I understand."

"This...game. This charade you're putting on," Sigyn clarifies. "It might work on everyone else, but I've known you far too long to fall for your tricks, Loki."

Odin hesitates for a moment, his good eye studying her carefully, and Sigyn's heart leaps into her throat. She could be wrong, of course, and this could be the Allfather standing in front of her. However, Anna told her what Loki said about Odin's death, meaning it would be far more likely that this imposter could be Thanos or one of his puppets.

Truthfully, she's not certain which would be worse.

Clapping his hands together suddenly, Sigyn jumps nervously as the Allfather breaks into a smile.

"Well done," he says, still clapping as his appearance begins to glow softly. A warm golden-green light envelops him, and Odin's features melt away to reveal the God of Mischief standing before her. "I'm almost impressed. What gave it away?"

Sigyn bites back a sigh of relief, her shoulders dropping as they relax an inch.

"Odin never liked me, Loki," she confesses. "Despite your belief to the contrary."

"Better you than me."

"Perhaps before..." her voice trails, and Loki's eyes darken almost imperceptibly at the implication.

He knows what she means. Before Narvi and Váli. Before he lost his sons, his family. Before his life fell apart and he rebuilt himself from the pieces, new and strong, but significantly less willing to be patient with his adopted father. Their deaths changed everything — not only his relationship with Sigyn — and he often found that he prefered pretending they'd never existed.

His heart twisted at the thought.

"I heard you've met Anna," Loki clears his throat.

Sigyn looks grateful for the change of subject, and she nods.

"Where is she? When I spoke to a servant, they told me she'd died."

"She did die. Twice, in fact."

Loki smirks, "So she told me. An excellent ruse, my dear, but I'd like to see her. I'm assuming you have her hidden away somewhere? Perhaps in a cave? The forest?"

"I do," Sigyn replies cryptically.

The raven-haired prince sighs, "Sigyn. You know where I've been. You know what's happening between us, of the bond that's been forged."

"I do," she repeats.

"Then you know why I need to see her. I haven't felt her since my return to Asgard, so I assume you've used some sort of magic to keep her hidden."

Nodding, Sigyn glances at the floor, "She's..."

Her voice trails, and Loki looks impatient. His hair is longer than it was before, and his green eyes aren't quite as bright as they used to be. She can't see any evidence of Thanos' torture on his person, but — then again — Loki had always been a master of disguise. No doubt he's healed himself or has masked his scars, not that she can blame him. He's always been a proud and vain sort of man, as frustrating as that could be. Still, Loki's downfall might be his pride, but his temper is still quite legendary. He'd never hurt her in their time together, quite the opposite, but that didn't mean the furniture walked away unscathed.

"What, Sigyn?" Loki asks, his voice low and filled with uncharacteristic concern. It's almost shocking, the softness painted over his features, and she's not certain she's ever heard him speak like this before about anything. Definitely never about her. "She's what?"

The far door to the chamber slams open, a hidden passage tucked behind the throne that had been a favorite of Frigga and Loki when he was a child. She'd sneak him into the throne room, hiding in the shadows off to the side, and watch Odin preside over his court. He'd always dreamed he'd be on the throne himself, but — now that he's here — it's significantly less fulfilling without Anna by his side.

That thought was both comforting and unsettling.

He almost expects Frigga to walk into the room, a broad smile painted across her features, but the shadows shift to reveal a figure much less feminine. Draped in a dark cloak, a pair of hands reach forward and push back the hood to reveal Heimdall — looking much different than Loki had ever seen him before — and he frowned.

"What is this?" Loki demands, turning to Sigyn.

She's still staring at Heimdall, "I...I don't know. Heimdall, I th--"

"Gone," he interrupts them both. "Anna is gone." 

Wow, there are so many cliffs in this mountain range

Wow, there are so many cliffs in this mountain range. Who knew?

Truthfully, I don't think you're ready for what comes next. Prepare yourself.

*jumps off*