Chapter 14

"How do you know about..." Anna's voice trails. "Thor really is a fan of storytelling, isn't he?"

Sigyn laughs, "Very much so, but I think I would have heard of your antics on Midgard - and beyond - even without his wagging tongue. Tales of Loki's treachery spread further than one might think."

The brunette nods, the memory of Loki's visits to Earth seared into her memory. After losing her fiance in the Battle of New York, she was furious with the God of Mischief, and it was only after their kidnapping by Restitution that she learned to forgive him. Now, however, now she wasn't so certain.

Seeing Loki chained in the void, a plaything of Thanos to torture at his fancy, broke Anna's heart. She couldn't imagine the suffering he'd endured, and the madness dancing in his emerald eyes hinted and pain she'll never understand. It dwarfed the anger she felt toward him, the bitterness of so many months spent trapped and alone in his chambers, and she's surprised to discover that - while she hasn't forgiven him yet - seeing him again sent a pang of longing through her that was more power than she imagined.

She missed him. All those months, scowling at his possessions and reading his books, she told herself that she'd hold nothing back once she saw him again. The fights they'd had in the past were no picnic, but she imagined more than a quick tussle once they were reunited.

In reality, she froze. The shock of seeing him after so long turned her blood to ice, and her heart stopped beating in her chest while she drank in the very sight of him. Even now, the thought of his green eyes plays over and over again in her mind. She'd nearly forgotten how vivid they are, piercing through even the darkest night, and her pulse races at the memory.

"I know this is difficult for you," Sigyn's voice pulls Anna out of her thoughts. "I can only imagine how it must feel to be so close yet so far."

Anna nods, "At least he's alive."

She forces a smile, and Sigyn's eyes soften with what she recognizes as pity. No doubt she understands the difficulties that come from loving Loki, and - while it can be awkward to think about at times - Anna is grateful for her friendship. No one else on Asgard is willing to forgive the Prince of Lies for all that he's done, but Sigyn's loyalty - despite their history - seems to have made her honor-bound to help.

"I'm sure my friends can help, but how will we reach them? Isn't Asgard still sealed?" Anna asks, earning a knowing smirk from Sigyn.

"The Bifrost is closed," Sigyn confirms. "But I happen to know someone who is able to help us in our quest."

She holds up a hand, grabbing her ever-present satchel from the corner, and rifles through it to produce a crimson gown. The silk cascades to the floor in a single column, and Anna lifts an eyebrow at the luxurious dress.

"Who's that for?" She asks warily.

Sigyn laughs, "You, of course."

"But I..." she glances down at her navy gown, and Sigyn's smile broadens.

"Can't go out wearing that," the blonde quips.

Exhaling, Anna shakes her head at her friend before accepting the ridiculously opulent dress. It's strapless, the bodice clinging to her torso, and a sliver of skin is revealed over her midsection before the dress continues skimming her body as it falls to the ground. She kicks off her sandals and slips on the silver heels Sigyn has provided and allows her friend to twist her brown hair off her neck.

"I feel very exposed," Anna confides, fiddling with the knotted silver ring on her left hand. "I don't see why this is necessary."

Sigyn drapes a heavy silver necklace around Anna's neck, the cold weight of it causing her to wince as she clasps it behind her neck. It's set with massive rubies, the likes of which Anna has never seen in person before, and her eyes widen at the sight. Sigyn moves to take replace the silver bracelet Tony gave her, but Anna stops her and shakes her head.

"As you wish," the blonde Asgardian says, stepping back to admire her handiwork. "You look ravishing."

Anna rolls her eyes, "You're scheming."

"Perhaps," Sigyn replies with a twinkle in her eyes. "But now it's your turn to cause a bit of mischief." 

Want to see the dress Anna is wearing? I put the link in a comment here! -->

x