Chapter 40

As if my threat(?) was quite a shock for Lapis, he couldn’t talk for a while. However, his dumbfounded expression only lasted a moment. His expression became composed again, then he let out a grin.

“I don’t care if you are in a male form. Aren’t all Spirits genderless?”

“…….”

Well, this guy did fall for Elwien’s charisma. He simply likes the unique energy given out by Elqueeness, so he didn’t care about my appearance?  It really felt like I was wrongfully caught up in something, so I naturally frowned.

“If you don’t care, then I would like you to treat me as a male existence. Even if I am genderless, I’ve only had 4 months to get used to it…I’m starting to get annoyed by being mistaken for a woman.”

“Hmm? That’s strange. To my knowledge, Spirits aren’t assigned a gender at birth? Why are you so insistent on taking on a male form?”

I hesitated to think about what I should say. If I wanted to convince him, I would have to tell him an accurate explanation of my situation. I slowly opened my mouth. Anyways, nothing good will come from hiding the information.

“I have 17 years worth of memory living as a man.”

“What?”

“…?”

“That is to say…I was male in my previous life. I was suddenly born as a genderless being, but I can’t easily change my behavior pattern.”

At my calm answer, Isana’s face indicated he didn’t understand what I was talking about. Lapis had a surprise expression, and his facial muscles froze. It was as if he couldn’t believe it.  His voice lightly shook from agitation and shock.

“You are lying. Anything related to rebirth and death is handled by the Underworld, but I do know a little about the process. A reincarnated Spirit King should not have any memories. They are born from the most pure spirit created. So how could you still have your previous life’s memories?”

“I don’t know about the exact situation. During the rebirth process, there was a mistake, so I was dropped in the wrong dimension. Then I returned from there. Anyways, I’m sure my memories were transferred, so let’s just leave it at that.”

“Jeez…so that is why your actions have been strangely human-like.”

“……?”

Lapis nodded his head as if he had accepted everything. Isana still had a confused expression, so he kept his mouth shut. I had nothing to boast about, so I didn’t speak again about my unpleasant past. It would have been great if we could have just moved past it…Lapis had a mischievous expression until the end, and he tried his best to make my stomach turn.

“He-eh. Then the ‘kiss’ should have been quite a shock.”

“…shit. It will be recorded in the rank of my most humiliating memories as number one. Is that what you want to hear?”

“Ke ke. You are like that right now, but your previous life’s memories will become fuzzy after 1000 years. This is the true nature of Spirits.”

“…….”

Truthfully, I was afraid it might turn out that way. As a matter of fact, I was afraid since my personality seemed to be changing a lot recently. Even if he hadn’t pointed it out, it was a truth I already knew about. At Lapis’ friendly warning, I bit my lips in vexation. At that moment, Isana continued to speak as if he had thought of something. It seemed his aim was to change the topic.
“Jeez. So what should I call you now? I can’t call you by your true name during the vacation….”