8

"Let's hope you miss the shot during tryouts next year." The softball captain says, getting right in my face, puffing her chest to press against mine. "Like you did at state." She says, shoving me. "You're a fucking joke." She says and I finally get tired of her shit, taking her shirt in my fist as I slam her against the lockers.

"Yeah? I'm not the one who struck out at state. You cost the team a state title." I say and she looks away. "Yeah, not so brave now, are you? Without your coward teammates? You're on your own now." I say, slamming her against the lockers again. "Don't fuck with me again. Or it'll be worse." I say, pulling her off the lockers and shoving her to the ground sighing and heading to my class as she lay on the ground crying.

-

"Wait, what?" I ask, looking at my grandfather as I sit in his office.

"Three days suspension." He says and I look at him.

"All my finals start tomorrow, Pops."

"I'm sorry Y/N. Nobody is exempt from the policy."

"The policy that was enacted to protect me?"

"Y/N-"

"I was defending myself, all I did was push her against the lockers, and I get suspended, but they can almost fucking kill me and get away with it."

"Y/N Y/M/N Harris. You watch your language." Gramps says and I huff, getting up and leaving the office and the school building, going to the student parking lot, to my car so I can go home.

"Y/N?" Dad asks as I walk into the house. He's decided to paint the house and instead of paying someone else to do it, he insisted on doing it himself, so he's been home the past couple of days.

"You've got paint on your forehead, dad." I say, pointing to where he's got the paint on myself.

"What are you doing home?"

"Got suspended for defending myself." I say and dad sighs.

"I'll go talk with your grandfather." Dad says and I stop him.

"No, you won't, for two reasons. One, you're covered in paint. And two, I need a couple of days off for a mental break."

"But you have finals tomorrow and the rest of the week."

"I'll take them after the year ends." I say and he sighs, coming and hugging me.

"I'm glad you defended yourself." He says, kissing my forehead. "But come help me paint." He says and I groan.

"Do I have to?"

"Please, honey? It gets lonely out there." Dad says and I whine.

"Fine, let me go change." I say and he grins before leaving the house and I roll my eyes, smiling as I head upstairs to my room to put on some old clothes I don't care about getting dirty or getting paint on. Once I was dressed, I put my hair up in a pony tail before heading out to help.

-

"Hey, hey, Harris." I hear after a while of painting with my dad, and both my father and I turn to see Alex.

"What up, Morgan?" I ask and she walks over.

"You weren't in seventh hour, we all got worried." She says and I sigh.

"Yeah, I got suspended."

"What? Why?"

"I finally stood up for myself against that bitch of a softball captain."

"Jeri?"

"Yeah, her."

"Wow. So you're missing finals."