6

Monday, I had to miss practice because the final court hearing for Dad's divorce was that day, and they wanted me there because she's been denying hitting me. My dad took pictures of my face for all this, so all they need is me saying she did it, and she'll not only be a divorced woman, they'll also change her with aggravated battery. I think. It'd make sense for them to. Or maybe they'll just put a restraining order. All I know is that after today, if I never see Gina or her son ever again, it'll be too soon.

"You okay?" Dad asks as we get out of the car and I look at him, smiling as I nod.

"Yeah. I'm just ready for us to be free of Gina and her devil spawn." I say and dad chuckles, patting my shoulder.

"Today I get divorced, tomorrow you go off to play a state tournament."

-

"So, Miss Harris, Miss Trujillo...assaulted you?"

"Slapped me, Yes."

"Why?"

"Because I was standing up for myself."

"What brought you to the point of having to verbally stand your ground?"

"Jason threw water on me for no reason, so I slapped him, call it self defense, and she slapped me for calling her what she is."

"And what's that?"

"Step mother." I say and Gina jumps to her feet.

"I am your mother!" She shouts.

"My mother is dead, you harlot!" I shout in response.

"Order!" The judge commands, slamming his gavel down, I flinch at the sound and relax back into my seat. "Miss Harris, May we continue?"

"Yes, your honor. My apologies."

"I've seen all I need to see, so with the power vested in me by the state of California, on the grounds of irreconcilable issues, I declare that this divorce is official, and Gina Trujillo, and her son, Jason Trujillo, have to stay at least 100 feet away from Y/N and Thomas Harris at all times." The judge says and I sigh. "You're free to go, Miss Y/N." She says and I get up, heading over to my dad, who hugs me tight.

"We need to get you to school." He says and I chuckle.

"Dad. Your divorce was just legalized, let's go get some victory burgers."

"With cheese?" He asks and I chuckle, nodding, so we walk out to his car and I catch the keys he tosses to me. "Also, did you call my ex-wife a harlot?" Dad asks as I pull away from the courthouse and laugh.

"Out of all that, you just remember that I called Gina a harlot?"

"Y/N."

"Yes, I did, and it felt damn good." I say and my dad holds his hand up for a high five, so I give him one as we pull up to In-N-Out.

-

"Finally you're here!" I hear Alex call out as I'm getting some things so I could head to my fifth hour.

"Yeah, I had court today, I told you and the entire team yesterday."

"Still."

"What's up, blondie?" 

"I need help on my math homework."

"And math is?"

"Sixth hour."

"I have history right now."

"Mr. Rodriguez is giving all his classes free days." Alex says and I sigh.