Demi Plie

Demi plie is one of the first movements you ever learn, but it's a bit more complicated than you think.

First, I want to start out by mentioning turnout in a grande plie is different than turnout with straight legs or in a demi plie. I'll explain.

So, think about the position of a first position grande plie. Now, think of the same position, but lying on the ground. Notice how it's the same position as the stretch, "butterfly." What I'm trying to say here is that your turnout in a grande plie is mainly about the flexibility. If you're having trouble with this, then work on the flexibility of your hips and inner thighs, like in the butterfly stretch or middle splits/straddle.

Then we have your turnout in straight legs and in demi plie. Yes, flexibility does work into this, but now it's mainly about strength. Instead of stretching, work on the strength of your turnout muscles. The ones at the top of the leg, or well, the "butt muscles."

Assuming that you are training in the Vaganova technique where the feet are always 180 degrees turned out. Now, your turnout is measured by the knees. Stand at the barre in first position, where you can see yourself in the mirror from a profile view. Look at your knee, where it's facing. Do you see the front of your knee, or just the side of it? This is your turnout.

What happens when a ballet dancer is too flexible, is that she (because this mainly happens with girls) only has turnout when the legs are bent. When she bends her legs, the knees start to face the side, but when she straightens back, the knees face the front again even though her feet are turned out.

Make sure that you don't tuck your pelvis underneath as you plie, I mostly see this happen in second position grande plie. To not do this, try to think of keeping your hips and shoulders in line vertically.

Well, that's all I can think of to say! Thank you for reading and if you have any requests, please comment!