Five Positions of the Feet

I'm sure that every ballet dancer knows the basic five positions of the legs and feet, but I definitely think it's a good idea to go over them, except deeper into the specifics.

(Feel free to look back at this photo if needed)

First Position

Of course, we start off in first position - the legs turned out and the heels touching.

... Or should they?

A lot of dancers have hyperextended legs, basically meaning that when they fully straighten their knees, the leg goes back, beyond what is considered "straight."

So, because of this, if they are to fully stretch their legs, then their heels will have space between so their thighs, knees, and calves can still connect (but the legs are fully stretched)

So, because of this, if they are to fully stretch their legs, then their heels will have space between so their thighs, knees, and calves can still connect (but the legs are fully stretched). Some teachers say this is how someone with hyperextension should stand.

However, other teachers disagree. They will say the dancer must stand with the heels together, but not fully lock the knees. So the legs won't be in a hyperextended position, but what would feel like a slightly bent position.

 So the legs won't be in a hyperextended position, but what would feel like a slightly bent position

There are many arguments about this. At the end of the day, it really comes down to what your teacher prefers! Just keep in mind that at different schools they will ask for different things.

Second Position

After, we have second position. Similar to first, except now the heels are apart. Many say that how far apart your heels are, should be a little longer than the length of one of your feet. In my opinion and experience, I really think that it's just however far your tendu goes. If you are properly placed, then the tendu won't go too close or too far.

Other than that, there isn't very much to say about this position specifically. It's the easiest one to develop turnout in.

Third Position

This one is not commonly used in classical ballet, but it is important to have mastered it before going onto fourth and fifth positions.

The foot in front should only be crossed over halfway. So the front heel should be touching around the middle of the back foot. Normally where the straps of a ballet shoe would be.

In short, this position is mainly used to prepare for the next two positions.

Fourth Position

In my experience, this is the hardest of all five positions. Both legs are turned out and are crossed, but the feet are not touching. This can make you twist a lot, mainly in the hips. Keep your hips and shoulders square! That tip generally goes for everything in ballet, but in this position it's very hard.

Again, people say that the length between your feet should be the length of one of your feet. As I said before, I think it's more about how far your tendu goes.

Plus, in choreography, it's practically always just used as a transition or prepation. As long as the feet aren't miles apart or almost in fifth, then really, you should be fine.

Fifth Position

Finally, we have the last but not least - fifth! Similar to fourth, except now your feet are touching. The goal is to have both heels and toes touching, but have the front leg fully straight. If your front leg is still very bent, it is better to keep working in third.

The reason your front leg is bent, is because the back leg's knee is restricting it from straightening all the way. It means that your turnout is still at a point where your knees are mostly facing the front. Now, you're trying to press your front leg against this knee, and it's not working.

Keep working on first, second, and third, then your turnout will improve!

~

Thank you for reading this chapter! I hope it helped and you learned something that you didn't know before. If you have any questions or requests, please ask away! See you in the next section.