Chapter Three

Maybe I've been here before? I've seen this room and I've walked this floor. I used to live alone before I knew you. And I've seen your flag on the marble arch. Love is not a victory march! It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah.

―――――――――――――――――――――――――

It had been almost a year now since Dan had started teaching Phil piano. Nothing more had happened between them and Dan was feeling conflicted with himself. Should he make a move? Or was that bad? And what if Phil wasn't into him the same way? So many emotions took over Dan that he had stopped listening to Phil play Fur Elise to pace around the stage.

He knew Phil was watching him, but he didn't care. He needed to find a way to control his feelings. All of these urges, yearnings, wants, needs. He wanted Phil. He needed Phil.

“Dan? You okay?”

Dan snapped from his thoughts and leaned over the piano and rested his head on the board. It was hopeless. He would just have to make a move or ask him.

“Do you ever get that feeling when you're with someone and your heart won't stop pounding?” Dan asked bluntly. He didn't bother to look up at Phil. He knew what his expression was by the silence that filled the room.

“Maybe…” Phil replied softly. This time, Dan raised his head and looked at his friend. His cheeks were a cute shade of pink and his eyes were staring out the window. God, he was so adorable.

“Good, I thought it was just me.” The ebony-haired boy turned his head to him with wide eyes. Dan chuckled. “C'mon, let's take a break. We can resume lessons later.” He and Phil left the ballroom and waltzed into the foyer. Up until now, he'd never really stopped and admired the architecture and decor. One could tell just by how shiny the floors were and how high the ceiling was that this place was owned by a wealthy family.

He slowly walked about the foyer, dazzled by the paintings, the welcoming atmosphere, the warmth the fireplace emitted. This place was truly amazing. He stopped to stare up at an archway that led farther into the palace. The Lester family emblem flag was hung at the top so that it dropped down like a curtain. Everywhere he looked, he was reminded that Phil was rich as hell and that he'd never amount to something like this.

Dan continued to move about until he stopped at the foot of the staircase, in awe of how long it really was. Phil showed up beside him. “Wanna go upstairs?” he asked. Dan nodded, silent. They marched up the stairs and when they got to the landing, Dan breathed in deeply. There was a hint of lavender and chamomile wafting in the air. He followed the scent to find that it came from Phil's bedroom.

“I've recently taken a liking to incense,” Phil explained. “Do you like it?”

“Yeah, it's lovely.” Dan took a long sniff and sighed through his nose. It was almost sort of romantic. It made Dan's heart beat rapidly. Some sort of feeling had suddenly came over him. He felt a presence behind him. When he turned around, he came nose to nose with Phil. His ears began to burn. They were so close to one another...what was he to do? Should he make a move? Should he wait and see what happens?

Before he could decide, his body flushed with heat as Phil erased the space between them and placed his lips upon Dan's. He stared ahead with wide eyes but quickly shut them, melting in place and timidly kissing back. They stood like that for what felt like forever, the kiss slowly picking up pace and getting heated. But as soon as it had started, it was over, and Dan was left standing there inflamed in heat from the moment. It was official. They both knew their feelings for one another. But the hardest part was yet to come.

―――――――――――――――――――――――――

“Mum, dad, I have something to tell you,” Phil began, rocking back and forth on his feet, hands folded in front of him. He glanced down at his parents, who sat together in the library.