Part Twenty-Eight

I apologize for promising to update and then never updating. I have no excuse just that I was dumb and forgot. So I'm going to post the remaining chapters so you don't have to wait on me to remember that I have to update.

Enjoy and, as always, let me know what you think!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Please, mom, no." I begged, fixing the strap of my sling around my neck so it wasn't rubbing against my neck.

"The rental is at the house since Emily gave me a ride here."

"Mom!"

"Just because you and Lucas aren't talking doesn't mean Emily and I can't still be friends."

"We're not just not talking. He dumped me."

"Honey-"

"Mom, stop. I'm tired of people trying to make me feel bad for something I didn't even want to happen."

"People?"

"You, mom. Like every five seconds."

She sighed.

"I just wanna go home."

She wrapped an arm around my shoulders. "Everything's going to be okay, sweetie."

"When, mom? It's only gotten worse. It's only ever gotten worse."

"It will get better."

I sighed.

"Let's go home, sweetie."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Are you boys warm back there?" Emily asked, turning the heat on in the car.

Both Lucas and I mumbled our responses.

"Want me to stop and get some pizza?"

"No." I said, a little too urgently. I glanced at Lucas for a second before I turned toward the window and stayed silent.

He hadn't said anything which probably meant he did want to do get pizza. Part of me felt bad for saying no but at the same time, I couldn't act like I was fine.

Emily looked at mom before she pulled out of the parking lot and headed toward our houses.

The ride was only a ten minute ride but it could have been an hour long drive. The tension was so thick it made me feel like I was being suffocated. I needed out.

I could feel his eyes on me the whole time, waiting for me to look his way. I wanted to but I wasn't going to cave first. I made that promise to myself very clear.

Emily pulled into her driveway and cut the engine.

I went to open my door but my sling got in the way. The handle wouldn't move and I was trapped.

"Let me help." Lucas leaned over me and opened the door. He pushed it open for me.

I glared at the window, wishing he would give me some space. I didn't like how close we were.

I jumped out of the car and practically ran to the house, needing to get away from him before I did or said something stupid.

I unlocked the back door with the spare key and walked inside the same time mom walked through the front door.

"Aiden, are you okay?"

I stopped where I was and wrapped my good arm around myself, wincing as it put pressure on my ribs.

"Aiden?"

"Can I stay in your room for a while? I-I don't want to be alone."

Mom walked over to me and pulled me into her chest. "Of course. Go on up. I'll be up in a minute."

I kept my face buried in her chest for another second before I pulled out of her embrace and went upstairs.