Chapter 35

Zacznij od początku

My thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the sound of my phone ringing. I quickly finished tying my other boot, then grabbed my phone off the end table. I checked the caller ID—seeing that it's my wife, Jill. I immediately answer it, holding the device in front of me.

Jill's POV

As I was waiting for Chris to pick up, I was sitting on the couch in the living room, with Levi on my lap. Holding the adorable twenty one month old boy with one arm, while using the other to hold cellular device in front of me. When my husband finally answered, his face appeared on the screen.

"Hey sweetheart," Chris greeted to me, with a slightly agitated tone of voice. 'Something's definitely wrong...'

"Hey Chris. Are you alright?" I inquired, using a worried tone. "You don't exactly sound too happy at the moment."

"Yeah, I'm fine Jill. I'm just tired, that's all," He replied, as I hear him yawn on the other line. "How are Nathan and Levi?"

"They're doing good. I just dropped Nathan off at the preschool this morning. So I'm chilling in the living room with Levi on my lap," I tell him, as Levi gurgled and began to play with my fingers.

"That's good. How are you and the baby?"

"We're doing alright for now," I tell him, as I rubbed my growing belly. "Chris, what's wrong?"

"What do you mean?"

"You exactly what I mean Chris. I can tell when something's wrong. I'm your wife, remember. You can talk to me."

"I know Jill," Chris sighed for a moment, pinching the bridge of his nose before continuing. "but I don't want to cause you any unnecessary stress or tension. It would be bad for you and the baby's health."

"Still, if something's bothering you, I need to know, Chris. So I can do anything that I can to help you," I say to him.

"But Jill, you don't know how bad it is."

"Is it really that bad?"

"Yes," Chris took a deep breath before going on. Beginning to explain to me what happened last night and the gravity of the explanation.

Leon's POV
———————————————
From: Chris (Big Old Bearfield 🐻)
To: Leon
7:35am

Hey Leon, Piers and I are gonna be late since some work-related issues came up that we need to take care off first. Keep me posted about Laura's condition.
———————————————
I sighed in relief after reading the text. Knowing that they were gonna be delayed by an hour or two at most. That wasn't my main concern though. I placed my phone back in my pocket—taking a small sip from my cup of coffee I got from the hospital's cafeteria. I gazed out the window in Laura's room at the busy outskirts of Seattle—waiting for Ada to show up. While I patiently waited, I recall my conversation with Hunnigan from last night.

***Flashback***

5 Hours Eariler

***3rd POV***

After he left the hospital, Leon headed back to the rental penthouse he was currently staying in. Which happened to be located only a couple blocks from the facility. When Leon arrived, he let out a sigh, as his shoulders slackened and relaxed. Finally feeling the heavy weariness and fatigue settling into his body.