Chapter One

Admin note: This is my first ever phanfiction so please be nice :') and I hope you enjoy it!! Also, sorry the first chapter is so short, it's more a prologue I guess. (^.^')
Fanart by szluu on DeviantArt

―――――――――――――――――――――――――

I've heard there was a secret chord that David played and it pleased the Lord. But you don't really care for music, do you? Well it goes like this: the fourth, the fifth, the minor fall and the major lift; the baffled king composing Hallelujah.

―――――――――――――――――――――――――

Dan closed his eyes as his fingers gently glided over the keys, the soft melody ringing from the grand piano filling the empty silence. He praised the Lord that he was finally on his own. After living with his parents for so many years, it had been time to fly the coop. The first thing he did after finding a place was use the rest of his savings to buy a decent piano.

He loved playing the piano. It allowed for him to speak his mind through music, which his parents had absolutely hated. That was another good reason to leave. All he wanted was to play piano. It was the one thing he was in love with. Possibly the only thing.

Dan continued to play a soft melody through closed eyes. He knew this song like it was nothing. His hands came down and pressed on the keys with quiet passion. He could never play in front of people, of course. He would most likely get last-minute anxiety and faint.

After finishing his song, Dan heaved a big sigh and decided it was time to get some air. He stood up from the bench and climbed the stairs to his room. He walked over near his bed and reached up toward the ceiling. He grabbed ahold of the string hanging from the trap door and yanked hard on it, causing the board to fall and a ladder to rattle down. He climbed it and crawled through the small space toward an opening in the wall that turned into a balcony. He dropped down onto the veranda and leaned against the wooden railing. This was the one place he could come to escape reality and really think.

He stayed there until nightfall. The sky was clear of clouds, the stars bright and the moon full. He let the chilly evening wind hit his face and ruffle his long curly hair, a few strands sticking to his lips. That was when he opened his formerly shut eyes to glance up at their neighbor's house across the road and saw him.