Chapter 14

It happened so fast, I think none of us had even a second to grasp what was before our eyes.

Literally, MILLIONS of babies, filling up every inch of Babycorp. I got up on my feet, being careful not to step on any of the little helpless people. This all didn't make any sense and I looked at Big Boss Baby, demanding.

"What is going on?!"

"I honestly have no idea!" she yelled back, as we had to yell because half the babies were crying. The other half seemed to be business babies as they were looking around confused and were asking each other questions, "But these are all the babies I sent into the future!"

"To this day?!" I yelled, very astonished that she would've picked this exact moment and she shook her head again.

"No, a month from now!"

"Get out of my way!" Huge Boss Baby yelled as he searched the crowds for his collegue and I watched Francis Francis wobble behind him, still eager to get some sort of an answer for all his trouble in getting here to demand back his job.

"Giant Boss Baby! Giant Boss Baby! Where are you?!" the red headed baby screeched through the crowds.

I looked away, back to Big Boss Baby and only saw something that amazed me.

Actual tears in her eyes.

She sniffed her nose, before catching me glance at her and she quickly turned her eyes away, seeming very upset.

"I should have never done any of this..." she mumbled under her voice. "I should have never babynapped everyone and I should have just talked to Ted before he left about how I felt."

"Yeah, you probably should have." I said to her, still very annoyed and upset. I could feel tears trickle down my cheek and I wiped my face with my hand. I smirked a pitiful smile and uttered to her, "I-is... is he...dead?"

"I don't know..." she said back barely, and more watery tears welled in her eyes, "I just... I panicked."

We stood there among the babies, crying along with some of them.

But all this time I felt a grumble in my stomach, of an aching hunger and I looked at her again, shrugging, as I said.

"Well... I might as well eat the cake now..."

I put my hand in my pocket, searching around for the possibly poisonous cake but couldn't feel it in my grasp.

No, what I felt instead... was a watch.

I lowered my eyebrows confused, biting my lip nervously as I took out the small watch and saw it was a Babycorp one. But instead of having a bottle as the 12 number, it had a cartoon picture of Ted's face.

"Ted...?" I whispered, terrified. What was going on? It was ticking away quickly and I jumped to attention over this, as the minute hand was only a couple of minutes away from reaching the cartoon head.

"What is it, Templeton?" Big Boss Baby asked me, quickly, and I lowered my eyes, reading the time as best I could and tapped the watch. Suddenly a beam of white light shot out of the top of it like a laser, and pointed like an arrow to be followed into the distance.

I quickly began to walk the direction it pointed and Big Boss Baby yelled at me, upset.

"Tim!"

"I think..." I said, hope and joy coming back to my heart that had already been through so much that night. "I think Ted... has been messing with time..."

"What?"

"SHH!" I shushed her quickly, and took wonky steps over the babies as I followed the light onwards. For the first time in my life I was the tallest person in a room of millions. And I had to be careful too. One misstep and I could land on a baby's hand or leg.

She followed me quickly as we both hurried the direction of the light. I could see that there was only a minute and a half left before the clock hand reached Ted's face on the watch. When I was able to get passed all the screaming and crying babies, I ran it. Running the direction of the light.

"TIM!" Big Boss Baby screamed at me upset as I disappeared down the corridors.

I ran as fast as I could, but skidded on the marble ground in nearly a fall when I reached the formula room as the light suddenly turned into that dark area.

I walked nervously in. The room was so quiet compared to all the yelling and crying babies outside, and I stepped with quietness across the floor. Giant aisles of bottles stood on each side of me, and I soon nearly tripped when I bumped off something.

I opened my eyes wide as I grabbed whatever was about to fall, and looked in my hands to see that I was holding the glass case of the relic again.

Except... somehow... I knew that that blonde strand of hair in it... was familiar.

"So, the first baby of Babycorp was a blonde?" I asked with a smirk looking at Ted amused by this fact. "Like you," I added and teased, "Maybe a long lost ancestor."

I froze as something just then dawned on me.

I could hear the watch start beeping, and I looked my eyes down at it, holding the relic under one arm and glanced back to see the minute hand had reached Ted's face.

At that second, a giant flash of white light blasted down just before my eyes, and when the object in the light smashed to the ground, all the bottles in the aisles shook from the rattling of a near earthquake from the ground shattering landing.

I coughed a little as dust nearly got caught in my throat from the hard hit of the object... and when the smoke and light began to fade away... I saw... I saw...

Him... Ted.

His fist was supporting his tired kneeling self up as he was wearing a very worn out suit, and was struggling to get on his little feet.

In his hand was his most prized possession... his briefcase.

And I gasped out in total disbelief... and complete happiness.

"TED, YOU'RE ALIVE! I-I THOUGHT YOU-!"

Ted just held out his tiny hand to stop me, as if he was exhausted, and looked his ancient baby eyes up at me as he spoke in a tiredness that was so much more than I would ever know.

"I'm... I'm back..."