Do I Just Sing Myself Happy Bithday?

Start from the beginning

   He made a mistake.

   Karkat shrieked instantly, jerking back as if he had been burned. Though oddly enough, the purring didn't stop. After taking a few shallow breaths, Dave asked, "Are you alright Karkles?"

   "Dave! You don't fucking ever touch a troll's horns! That's... th-nevermind! Just don't do that ever again!!" Karkat yelled. His face felt hot and he knew that it must be showing off his red mutation like a lightbulb.

Dave rubbed the back of his neck, "sorry, I didn't mean it. I-"

"It's fine!" Karkat interrupted. He looked around almost frantically for something to ease the tension. He shouldn't have yelled at Dave. "How about we try, whatever the hell those things are!" Karkat took off in a stomping jog, though how he managed to pull it off will forever remain a mystery.

Dave smiled as he watched the other troll strut off towards the swing set. Karkat has made so much progress in only, how long has it been? Well, today is his birthday. That means... it's been almost 6 weeks already?! Dave couldn't decide if it had felt much longer or shorter than that. Normally he was great at keeping time, but he always zoned out when Karkat was doing something cute. Wait, what? Well, Dave won't deny it, Karkat is adorable, but recently he's been feeling-

   "Hey douche-muffin! You gonna keep standing there or are you going to show me how the hell these things work?!" Karkat called, already sitting on the swing. Dave smirked widely, "coming Karkles!"

    ectoBiologist (EB) started a memo at 11:28.
EB: alright girls, is everything ready for Dave's birthday present?
   tentacleTherapist (TT) joined the memo.
TT: Yes John. We've already been ready for an entire week.
TT: Don't you think you're getting too worked up over this?
   gardenGnostics (GG) joined the memo
GG: no way rose! everything has to be perfect :)
EG: exactly! thanks Jade.
GG: no problem!
TT: Should we go over the plan one more time just for John's peace of mind?
EB: hey, I'm fine. I just wanted to make sure you guys know what to do.
GG: go for it rose!
TT: John's going to invite Dave out for a birthday lunch. While the boys are doing their thing, Jade and  I will set up the party at his house because it's the best choice. John will insist that Dave should come over for some quality bro time and then we strike with the surprise party of the century. Does that about sum it up?
EB: yep. Thanks Rose.
GG: um guys? its 11:40 now. shouldnt john be calling dave now?
TT: I believe you are correct.
EB: ah shoot! I'll get right on that! later guys.
   ectoBiologist (EB) closed the memo at 11:42.

   Dave felt his phone ring in his back pocket with the 'Don't Wanna Miss A Thing' custom ringtone for John. Karkat has gotten sick after the first few swings so he was just lying down in the grass occasionally whining.

   "Sup Egbert," Dave casually greeted.

   "Hey Dave, happy 15th birthday!"

   Dave smiled, the first person to remember his birthday was John, as usual. Or at least, he was always the first caller. "Daw, thanks Egbert. You too."

   "It's not my birthday Dave." He could practically hear the eye roll.

   "Just pulling your leg John. But for real, what's up?"

   "Well, I was hoping you and I could go out for some pizza or something. How 'bout it?"

   Karkat's ears twitched, it's... Dave's birthday today?

   "No problem dude, I'd love too. But uh... I'm kinda hanging with Karkat at the park, ironically of course. You know the drill."

   John sighed, looking out his window at the grey sky and the leafless trees. "How could I forget. And, it's fine if you bring your troll Dave. The more the merrier!"