Sam Initiates a Plan

The static grew louder and louder, sending Dean into a whirling race into the forest. Fear nipped at his heels like a Hellhound and his ears tore from the unnatural sound shrieking above him. Covering his ears, Dean whipped his body around a large tree and slammed his back against it, hoping to conceal himself from his pursuer. The noise stopped.

Breathing heavily, but keeping his mouth shut, Dean carefully peered around the tree and saw nothing. Closing his eyes in relief, he leaned back against the tree and then, as naturally as they were made to do, Dean's opened his eyes just to see a white face glaring in front of him. But before he could duck or take a swing, the figure disappeared and the roaring static began, sending Dean into a mind-twisting experience where every organ inside of him was splitting and his emotions were wound up around fear. He could not escape it-- it was louder than before, driving him insane.

"Is that all you got, you son of a bitch?" Dean shouted before something swiped his ankle and he landed on the ground. His forehead struck the soil, but he did not black out. Instead, he caught sight of the paper and pen. The paper was blank and the pen was dripping with fresh ink. He knew what the Slender Man wanted him to do-- but he refused to sign his death note.

As he lay on the floor, his ears bleeding from the noise and the paper flickering in front of his face, Dean saw the Slender Man's polished shoes step in front of him. The Tall Man took a moment to examine his victim before snatching Dean by the hair and jerking his head back so that their eyes met. Though the Slender Man had no mouth, its internal voice spoke to Dean's.

"We know the real letter you would leave Sam. It wouldn't be as hopeful and sweet as ours. You either write the truth and leave Sam torn apart-- or you do it our way and Sam lives."

"You won't get it so easy," Dean seethed as he grabbed the piece of paper in his hands. Holding it up, Dean spat back, "I'm done listening to you and your craphead friends!" With that, Dean's fingers crunched up the paper, but in doing so, the static grew louder and a jagged crack appeared in the middle of his forehead. Choking on fluid building in his throat, Dean released the paper and coughed violently.

"Write it." The Slender Man demanded. "We demand it."

"I'll write it! I'll write it!" Dean yelled.

The Slender Man immediately released Dean and handed him the paper and pen.

Sitting up and smearing the blood from his forehead and ears, Dean crossed his legs and scribbled out a note on the paper. It didn't take him as long as the Slender Man expected, but it didn't seem to matter as long as Dean fulfilled the requirement. After a few moments, Dean slipped the pen inside his jacket, admired his penmanship with a smirk, and then flipped it around and held it like a banner. It read, in big bold letters: GO TO HELL, JERK.

The Slender Man's shoulders jumped in offense and he placed a hand on his heart like an eldery person would do when a younger person insulted them.

"Do I need to say it? Or can you read?" Dean teased. He broke into his crooked smile and tore the page in half. "Since it doesn't seem to make sense to you, I'll repeat myself: I'm done with this." Dean cautiously stood to his feet and began making his way out of the forest before something whacked the back of his head and his legs buckled underneath him.

"Sam? Sam!"

With a jerk of the shoulders and gasp from his lungs, Sam woke up on a soft mattress and water running down his face. Snapping his head in every direction, he tried to identify where he was. But nothing looked familiar. His eyes darted to the antique furniture pieces and a cracked mirror before landing on a dark haired girl in front of him. "Ruby?"

The girl's face softened and she sat down on the bed beside him. "I'm not Ruby, Sam. But I know who she was. I'm Rivers. You saved me awhile back."

Sam sat up in the bed and pressed his palms over his eyes. "That's right. Are you okay?"

River's petite features looked down at the floor and she nodded her head slowly. "Yeah, I am." She looked up at Sam and her heart ached at the sight of the bruises and cuts scattered over his confused and dazed face. "Listen, Sam, I knew what it felt like to be a--to be a---,"

"Demon?" Sam finished with a bitter tone in his voice. "All victims say that."

"Well, the reason I'm saying it is because I heard the League say you could take demons out with just your mind. Why didn't you do that to me?"

Sam turned his face away and shuddered. Words all of a sudden became hard for him.

Rivers scooted closer to him and leaned her shoulder against his. Comfortably, she lifted her hand and stroked his damp hair. "Shhhh, it's okay. I'm sorry I asked."

"I could only do it when Ruby was here. But she's gone." Sam tried to laugh to loosen the awkwardness, but he couldn't erase the fresh feelings he always had for Ruby since she had died. Though she had deceived him in the most treacherous way imaginable, Sam couldn't forget the feelings he once had for her. "I'm sorry, Rivers. But I have to go. And you can't come with me. I can't get you involved."

"Sam, you can't leave me, okay? The demon inside of me told me awful stuff if I was ever to be left alone. If you leave me, I will die." River's light voice trembled and she stared at Sam with pleading eyes. Her grip tightened around his neck and he could feel her pulse slamming against his flesh. "Let me help somehow. I know how we can find Slender Man."

"What about those other hunters in the bar? Were they demons?"

Rivers nodded her head. "It took everything for me to convince them to let me go."

"How did you manage?"

"I told them I would give you over to them once you were healed," Rivers made sure to continue her side of the conversation before Sam was able to retort to what she had just said, "but I'm not going to. But I'm on limited time. So, I need your help."

Sam remained silent. His jaw muscles clenched and his lids lowered. He couldn't possibly see how Rivers could help him, but seeing she was his only aid at the moment, he agreed. "All right. I can help you as long as you help me find my brother. Okay?"

Rivers nodded her head. "I know where the Slender Man lives. I've been there once before I was possessed. But he has guards. Invisible guards. We need someone who can slip in unnoticed that can save your brother."

"I know someone," Sam said confidently as he slipped off the bed. He grabbed his jacket he spotted earlier during their conversation and slipped it on.

"Who are they?"

"Friends of Dean."