Changing directions, I made my way outside and happily blinked in the warm sunshine. It seemed unbelievable that it had been more than a week since I'd been outdoors. Would this be normal now? Only seeing the sun and breathing fresh air occassionally?

Acknowledging the guards at the door with a smile, I began walking down the path toward the gardens. As with everything in the castle, the gardens were immaculate. There were so many wonderful colors and aromas, and all beautifully tended of course. But as I sat on the stone bench, I was annoyed that it didn't feel quite right. This wasn't nearly as relaxing as I'd imagined when I thought to come here.

After a moment, I realized the problem. Apparently, I was becoming accustomed to being watched every second, because I hadn't noticed for several minutes that I wasn't actually alone. Guards were stationed everywhere on the grounds. They weren't doing anything that should bother me, but it was irritating that there was almost nowhere I could go to truly be alone.

I could go to the secret room, I suppose, but I didn't want to return to the castle so soon. Instead, I decided to go to the stables. That had been another favorite area of mine as a child. There would still be servants around, but at least the horses would be there as well.

"Did you wish to go for a ride, My Lady?" the servant bowed as I approached the stables.

"I only want to visit the horses." I smiled.

"Yes, Miss." He nodded and gestured me inside.

"If it's not too much trouble," I said stopping before I went inside. "I'd appreciate some time alone."

"No trouble at all, My Lady," he said before calling to the other man who was in the process of shoveling hay, and motioning for him to leave.

"Thank you," I said as they cleared out, supressing a grin at their shocked expressions upon hearing those words.

I gave each of the horses a handful of food and scratched their heads as I proceeded through the stables, but I was really only interested in spending time with Duchess. She wasn't very remarkable looking, but she had the sweetest temperament of all the horses.

"Hey, girl," I said as I held out a handful of food to the chestnut mare. "Did you miss me?"

Duchess happily gobbled up the food and then nuzzled my hand in greeting.

I was about to grab a little more food when movement to the left, caught my eye. When I turned, I was surprised to see the girl, Madeline watching me with widened eyes. She sat near the wall on a wooden bench, with a notebook in her hands.

"Oh hello," I said, pulling my hand back before I brushed it off on my skirt. "I didn't realize anyone was in here."

"I'm terribly sorry," she said nervously, closing her notebook and gathering up her few other possessions. "I'll leave you alone."

"Don't be silly," I said, taking a few steps in her direction. "You don't have to go anywhere. I wanted some space from the guards," I admitted. "But I don't mind if you stay. Besides, you were here first." I smiled in an attempt to put her at ease.

With an awkward smile, she put her things back down and watched the floor, uncomfortably.

Was she always so nervous?

"You're Madeline, aren't you?" I asked.

"Yes, My Lady." She briefly met my eyes, but then fixed her gaze on the floor again.

"Keira, please." I waved off the formality. "What were you doing?"

Wondering what I meant, she looked up, and I glanced pointedly at her notebook. It was almost unheard of for women to read the way I did. For a moment, I was excited by the prospect of meeting someone else who shared my love of words. The book she held wasn't for reading, but she might have been writing something.