Chapter 24: Awkward Conversations

Magsimula sa umpisa

"I do not know," Nelyo replied, shaking his head. As Curvo walked past him he rolled his eyes. "Good morning, Curvo!"

The other elf snorted but turned and nodded to him. "Good morning."

Nerdanel smiled and shook her head at her sons. "Is Eve doing well?"

"Eve is, yes," Nelyo replied immediately. He looked around to make sure no one was nearby. "Findekáno fancies her."

Nerdanel laughed. "Truly? It is time he found someone. I am glad to hear this. What of Eve?"

"It is definitely reciprocated." Nelyo gestured towards the house. "She blushes quite a bit. She cannot hide it; she is worse than Moryo in that regard."

Nerdanel shook her head with a soft smile and went inside their house alongside her eldest son. As they stepped inside, they heard a crash.

"That wasn't me!" Eve said frantically from somewhere they couldn't see. "Don't you two blame that on me!"

Nerdanel and Nelyo rushed around a corner to find Eve standing over a broken vase, the Ambarussa facing away from the newcomers, hands on their hips.

"Nerdanel, this wasn't me, I swear!" Eve gasped as she saw them enter.

The woman immediately stood up straighter as her twin boys turned to look at her. They had pleasant smiles on their identical faces, and held their hands behind their backs.

"Hello, mother!" piped up Telvo.

"Do not 'hello mother' me," Nerdanel replied, shaking her head. "Who is at fault here?"

Telvo smiled. "Ambarussa."

Nelyo covered his mouth, and Eve nearly started laughing though she thought better of it upon seeing Nerdanel's face.

"Which Ambarussa?" She turned to Pityo this time. "Which one? Atya or Minya?"

Pityo frowned and lowered his eyes. "Atyarussa. I am sorry, mother. It was an accident."

"I forgive you, and thank you for telling me the truth." She knelt down in front of her son and wiped a tear from his cheek with a soft smile. "This is why I say no running in the house. Do be more careful next time, please."

Pityo nodded. "Yes mother."

Telvo rolled his eyes. "Come, Ambarussa. Tyelko promised to meet us when we reached home. We must get ready!"

Telvo pulled Pityo along and they hurried down a hallway. Nerdanel watched them go with a frown. "Walk!" She turned back to Eve and Nelyo. She sighed and rubbed her forehead. "They will be the death of me."

Nelyo shrugged and went to a closet. He pulled out a broom and swept up the shards. "Mother, is Grandfather hosting a feast this year?"

Nerdanel grinned. "Ah! Yes he is. That is what I wanted to tell you all when we returned home. The remembrance feast will be held in a week." She turned to Eve. "We must go dress shopping and find you a new one for the party."

"Another party?" Eve chuckled lightly. "I feel like that's all you do here! Not that I mind."

"You happen to have come during the time of year where we celebrate many things," Nerdanel explained. "The change of seasons, the harvest, and in this case, a remembrance for Lady Míriel." Her face softened. "It is the one time of year that the entire family comes together."

"Oh yeah, the awkward family stuff," Eve said with a nod. Nerdanel and Nelyo both looked at her in surprise, to which she shrugged and looked sheepish. "Finno told me about the split. I sort of forced him to."