The Bus Ride Part 2

Opening my eyes I turned my head, and felt the water on my face. My head was pounding as I heard the distant sound of water around me. Looking up I saw that I was flat on my back, breathing slowly I looked straight ahead to find out I was looking back at all of the seats. Groaning in pain I looked next to me and I gasped pushing myself up I didn't stop until my back hit something. I looked at the bus driver as she was now impaled, stuck to her seat.

I watched the blood drip from her chin, and I looked in horror at the rest of the bus. Then it hit, Will I looked at the back of the bus and as I started to get up I noticed the pain in my leg. I screamed and fell back down, as water splashed I saw the blood clouding around me.

"Will!" I yelled looking back to the area where we were sitting, "Will!" I tried to stand again and when I had my grip on the seat in front of me I pulled myself up and heaved over into the seat. I saw movement up about three seats ahead of me, and I breathed in a sigh of relief.

"Hello? I need help. Please!" I screamed as the adrenaline started to seep away the tears started to rain down. More movement and I tried to sit up and move into another seat, looking back I saw that the bus was starting to fill with water, and soon enough the whole thing would be enveloped in water, including all of us.

I looked back up in front of me and I pulled myself up another two seats, now I could see into the seat above me, a whimper escaped as I saw that the movement was the hair of a classmate. Her head was laying on the back of the seat in front of her and the other student next to her was the same. Fear seeped in again as I imagined what would happen if I found Will. Dead. Ashamed of the thought I pushed ahead and climbed above a few more seats.

Out of breath I looked up and I saw...Will his head was against the seat and I watched and waited. When I saw his chest rise and fall, I sighed and took a breath myself. Heaving up I breathed heavily as I grunted, looking down at my leg I could see the swelling. But that's not what had me panicking it was the sight below. The bus was now about a third filled with water, eyes wide I looked up to see Will's head move. He was waking up.

"Will. Will wake up! Please. We need to get out of here." Lifting his head up he had a look of confusion on his face as he put a hand to his head, pulling it back he saw blood. "Will!" Looking away from his hand he looked straight at me.

"Blake?" He asked looking around him, "I'm going too get us out of here." He started to stand in his seat but once he turned he stopped. I saw tears glitter in his eyes as he saw the sight of his dead friends.

"I'm so sorry," I said as I sniffed I was still crying.

Will didn't say anything as he just clenched his jaw and worked to the nearest emergency window. Pushing it open Will turned back to me he was two seats up and I started to push myself up again when he stopped me.

"Save your strength." He easily glided down and helped me up to the window.

I looked out of it, and dreaded what I saw. "It's a good five foot drop. I can't make that with my leg."

"I'll help you." He put an arm around my shoulder, when we heard a noise. We both looked down to where I had found that girl and another classmate, the one classmate one moving.

"Oh my Gods." I looked at Will and he looked back down to the girl.

"Help!" She yelled. "Someone please help me!"

Will slowly looked up at me but he didn't hesitate, "I have to go help her."

I just nodded my head and leaned back against the seat. "Just hurry, the water is rising fast." The water was just about five feet away from the girl.

Even though I was worried about Will he seemed to move gracefully down to her, her foot must have been caught because he started to pull on something but I couldn't see anything. I looked towards the water and noticed it was closer. "Will, please hurry!" He looked towards the water and as he kept tugging on something, just as the water touched him he pulled the girl free.

Helping her up to where I was I grabbed her arm and helped them the rest of the way. We let her go out the window first, which was now a little closer, but still too far for me to jump without making my leg worse.

Will held my arm and slowly lowered me out the window, how he was so strong I have no idea. Maybe it came with the adrenaline or maybe it was something to do with how he hit his head. He lowered me down as much as possible and the girl below said she had me, and so Will let go.

Holding my breath I waited, I cried out in pain as I hit the water; my screams being muffled by the liquid around me. Opening my eyes, I looked up at the surface pushing back the pain I threw my arms out and started to paddle towards the top. Breaking through the surface I gasped for air looking up just in time for Will to be jumping out of the bus. Pushing myself towards dry land I grabbed a hold of the soil as I ripped myself out of the water.

Breathing heavily I laid on my stomach, closing my eyes as I tried to calm down. I noticed that there was another boy sitting against a tree, his red hair was sticking to his forehead as he held his knees up to his chest I didn't recognize him. Pushing myself up I looked out at the water to see Will just as he got to where I was, then looking out behind him I saw the bus...or what was left of it, sink the rest of the way.

I could hear sirens in the distant, looking above to the tree line I thought to myself, "It's too late. They're too late." I laid back down, trying to relax my leg.

"Are you okay?" I looked over at Will and didn't say anything.

After about a minute, I asked. "Why aren't you hurt?" He looked over at me I could see something in his eyes, but I couldn't make out what it was.

"I must've gotten lucky."

Just then there was a shout from above us. "Are you kids okay!?" Nobody had the chance to answer him as he disappeared.

About an hour later I was sitting in the back of an ambulance. The cops had already asked their questions and now they were talking to Will. As he talked he kept glancing over at me, and I just looked elsewhere. It still puzzled me on how he wasn't hurt, he didn't even seem at all that upset about his friends anymore.

When the cops were done asking him questions he came over to me. "They're going to let us go to the hospital now," He said as he looked at my leg...climbing into the back of the ambulance he took a seat right next to me. Just as the doors closed I I saw him looking at all of the blood and IV bags, and I knew that I had to figure out just who is Will Greensburg.