Alternate ending (Wrong end)

From the scene where Ryouta surprises Mei after a prank.

I bring you an alternate ending which was supposed to be the true or original ending because I'm sticking to the title of the book. I hope you like this too!

Please do expect a cameo appearance from an OC from my previous work if you know her.

But do not expect this chapter to be long. :)

"Surprise."

I turned around.

Seeing him smiling broke my heart.

"That wasn't a good approach to a situation, Ryouta."

"What do you mean?" he walked towards me.

"I'm here, calling you like an idiot because I already have my decision."

I already gave up my hope left.

"I can explain--"

"Ryouta, let's stay as friends. Best friends."

"Meicchi..."

"I don't want to lose you but it is much better this way. We can still be good friends and have fun like we used to back in those days."

"I-I understand." tears flow on his cheeks.

"I'm so sorry." I stared at the ground. "I'm not saying that you should forget the memories. Let's keep them... as bestfriends this time."

Kise Ryouta's POV

It hurts so much. I respect Mei's decision. I can't help myself this time emotionally and mentally. The feeling is so painful that it felt like I was torn into a million pieces.

"Let's keep our relationship as friends. It's much better than being in love with each other then have problems that we couldn't even handle."

I regret that prank I made. I guess that made her lose hope. I'm an idiot. A total idiot.

I couldn't stop my tears. Do I really like her this much?

"Ryouta, let's give ourselves some peace of mind. I'm exhausted too. Maybe you are too... stop crying like a child, idiot."

She was standing in front of me, crying and I couldn't do anything. I cannot do anything that could comfort the both of us. I'm a jerk.

After nine years...

I woke up and did my usual routine. I was living temporarily here in New York with my girlfriend and let's say she is a co-worker.

My phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Ryouta!"

"Who's this?" I yawned.

"Why aren't you remembering your best friend in the whole world? That's rude."

"M-Mei?"

"Of course, idiot. Anyway, how was your engagement? I saw something on the news today. I thought you like Haruna than that other girl. What is wrong with you!"

"It's morning here and you're yelling at me..."

"Apologize to Haruna, go! And, oh, by the way... I'm having a vacation there with my friends. Maybe a cup of coffee with you and your queen?"

"Oh, sure. Okay, take care, bye!"

Wow, she really has changed all over the years because after all, she eventually ended up with Shintaro (Midorima). They work at the same hospital as doctors. I wouldn't be questioning it.

And to add the fact that Shintaro's here.

My phone rang again.

"Hello? Who's this?"

"Hey you, where are ya? You're late! I'm re-designing the clothes for you. The model is late, wow. Speed up."

"H-Haruna!"

She is really angry.

I need to call Meicchi for help.

"Meicchi!"

"What now?"

"Haruna's real mad."

"Buy her chocolates then do something surprising and romantic. Bye! I have a meeting."

"Mei!"

"What?"

"Thanks."

Sometimes, it is much better to preserve the friendship than try to be together as lovers if you are really not for each other.

A better person will always come to a person when it comes to second chances.

We should be thankful.

I'm not stuck in the friend zone.