CHAPTER NINETEEN: DEAD OR ALIVE?

Aidan felt his blood chill at the sound. It was indistinct, muffled by distance but he could recognize it even when he was dead. It was Kate! Damn! Damn! He could not imagine the plight she must be in. It was only minutes since she had disappeared and Aidan had been looking for her like mad. He vowed not to let anyone harm her a second time.

When Kate had suddenly disappeared, he had tried hard not to panic looking around expecting to find Ryce missing too. But he was perplexed to find his best friend standing beside him looking as worried as hell.

And the only person missing had been Bryan Stafford. Oh holy shit! Ryce had nodded in his direction to confirm his doubt. It was the brother-in-law who had concocted such a conspiracy. No time to feel remorse for having doubted his best friend, they had immediately started to give each other instructions which way to go.

But not before asking Alex to stay with the rest of the women in the cottage. Nobody had guessed what was going on thankfully and now he feared the worst. Bryan would not spare Kate; not this second time.

Then he heard the sound again. Let me go! It was easier to discern now which told him that he was going in the right direction. Nearer to Kate; he just hoped he reached on time so that he could help her. His heart was as heavy as lead and he found it difficult to draw in his normal breath. Heaven knew what would happen to his Katie this time.

Finally, he caught sight of some movement not far across a deserted hill and without thinking he dashed towards the isolated place. And what he saw made his heart stop beating.

Bryan was holding Kate by her throat and she looked as pale as a ghost shaking with the effort to draw in a breath. The sight broke Aidan but he knew that he was dealing with a relentless murderer and he had to tread stealthily. However, he was unprepared for the third person already present there as he approached nearer.

There was Caitlin standing two feet away pointing a gun in the direction of Kate and his heart screamed at the sight. Without taking a moment to breathe, he dived in between the two sisters ready to take the bullet in the place of Kate. It would have been a perfect timing too had someone not pulled him from behind at the last second.

It was Ryce.

“Aidan!! What the hell are you doing?” his friend exclaimed getting up and extending a hand to help him get up.

But Aidan had no time to reply him. He leaned on the support to stand up and looked back at the body which laid slumped on the ground and he rushed to it feeling like it was the worst moment of his life. Kate had been shot by her own sister. Tears filled his vision and he vowed that if something happened to Kate, he would never ever be the same again.

Life would just end for him. As he rushed by the side of his beloved blinded by tears, he picked up the lifeless body unable to bear the pain. Kate was not responding and he was shaking her feeling desperate. He could no longer hear what was going on around him. All he cared about was his wife who laid lifeless in his arms and he wanted her back.

“Aidan!!!” Ryce was shouting. “Aidan, please control yourself.”

Aidan looked up at his friend without actually seeing anything. And he was not reacting; not until Ryce forcefully took Kate from his arms that he realized what was happening around him.

“What are you doing?” he screamed snapping out of his daze and watching Ryce cuddling his beloved in his arms.

“She’s alive. She needs medical attention. Get a grip!” Ryce rasped and at the same time Alex joined them rushing towards them on seeing the lifeless Kate. Her father bent to feel her pulse and confirmed that she was alive although somewhat weak.