Chapter 12 - Fancy Dancing In The Morning

The Kitchen At Camp Outermost, 1982, 5:45 A.M, Day 28 Of Summer

It was the kind of summer morning that you dream about during those dark winter mornings when the sun comes up late, and the cold air makes it difficult to want to get out of your warm bed and face the day. No, it was the exact opposite. India sprung from her bunk bed when the first light of dawn hit her face, and she quietly climbed down the ladder and gathered her towel and toiletries to steal a quick shower before she had to report to Roberto in the kitchen at 6:30. She spied her sleeping fellow campers and envied them just a little bit. They all looked so peaceful (fresh air will do that to a body) and for just a second, India wished that she could experience what it would be like to wake up with everyone else and have that camaraderie that she saw developing with the girls in her cabin. What would it be like to braid each other's hair or trade outfits for the day? Looking at her cabin mates, girls she had hardly interacted with in the past few weeks because of her crazy schedule in the kitchen, she suddenly felt lonely amidst the sleeping bodies. It's a funny thing to be lonely, but not alone.

As she gently opened the cabin door and looked out over the ocean, she took a deep breath and realized that had she not been working in the kitchen these past few weeks, she would never have had the ocean to herself. As she made her way about the camp in the early dawn hours, there was not another soul around, and the ocean, with all its inhabitants, was hers. The seagulls were floating on the morning breeze, up above the tide pools, looking for breakfast. There were seals basking in the morning light, and a few lobster boats on the horizon, heading off to tend their traps. India drank in the scene for a quiet moment before heading down the trail to the showers.

When she arrived at the kitchen door a short while later she heard "Los Gatos Frios" blasting from the kitchen and Roberto singing along at the top of his lungs. Mornings were Roberto's personal performance time. He often played air-guitar with a broom, sometimes mounting the table in the middle of the kitchen, pretending to be on stage. India could now sing along to the music (even the lyrics that were in Spanish) because Roberto had been playing the "Los Gatos Frios" tape nonstop since the first day in the kitchen at Camp Outermost. The campers had fallen in love with Roberto on day one, and he was in demand at the Friday talent shows at the end-of-the-week campfires. He greeted each camper by name after the first few days had gone by, and was quick to comfort any camper who was homesick. If there was a bright side to India's banishment to the camp kitchen, it was that she had met and gotten to know Roberto, a man so positive, unusual and wonderful, that he was sure to be remembered by campers for the rest of their lives.

India had actually enjoyed her time in the kitchen so far. She had fallen into an easy rhythm after the first few days, and Roberto's upbeat attitude was infectious. She enjoyed working with the campers who were assigned to help her after the meals were over (cleaning the tables, washing dishes and sweeping up) and she was learning how to cook all kinds of dishes (including some spicy Mexican ones using shellfish that she couldn't wait to try on her parents).

"Buenos días, Miss Rose," said Roberto when India walked through the door. "How are you this morning?"

India usually tried to respond with an equally upbeat response, but this particular morning she just didn't have it in her.

"I'm okay, I guess," was all that she could summon as she put on her apron and rolled up her sleeves.

Roberto immediately reached for the radio and turned down the volume. He pulled out a chair at the table in the center of the room and motioned for India to sit down.

"Just okay, Señorita?" he said, pouring India a cup of orange juice and handing her a chocolate chip muffin.

India felt the weight of the last few weeks rise to the surface of her mind. She had written a few letters home, but she had put a bit of a positive spin on how she was feeling, always trying to be upbeat when telling her family about the camp and how she was doing. And in truth, there was much to be positive about. She had learned a lot about cooking from Roberto (including some great Mexican dishes) and she had met some really interesting campers from places like Boston and New York City.