Chapter 41: Sydney

Start from the beginning

Holding her hands together, trying to regain control over them, Sydney took in a deep breath and looked around the sleeping camp. Everyone else seemed to be asleep, and she wished she could join them, but she knew that was highly unlikely now. Instead of trying, she laid her back against the closest tree and decided to keep watch. The person originally assigned to do that wasn't doing a very good job, considering they were among the loudest people snoring.

To distract her from her restlessness, Sydney glanced over the people traveling with her. By instinct, she was already fully aware of where Casey was sleeping, but she still felt vulnerable from her nightmare, so she avoided gazing in his direction. Turning her head, she noticed Reid laying a foot away from Brooke. Her back was to him, but just the way his body was positioned was proof that even in his sleep he wanted to be with her.

A few feet away from them was Charlie. Somehow, even unconscious, he still lacked peace. Her heart went out to him. Sydney could relate to losing a family member, and being separated from the other; they weren't family by blood, but that meant nothing. Liz and Jasper were family, the only one she'd ever known.

The hours passed slowly, but when the orange and red hues reclaimed the horizon, she knew the sun had awakened. From the corner of her eye, she realized Casey had done the same. It was no surprise, considering he woke up at that time everyday that she'd known him. Standing up, she gathered the courage to approach him. He's just a normal guy. You've faced far more intimidating people.

"Casey, can we please talk?" she asked, keeping her voice hush so she would not wake anyone around them.

She held her breath, expecting an immediate rejection, but was surprised when he nodded his head.

"Make it quick," he said, crossing his arms as they walked a few meters away to put distance between them and the group. "We need to get moving soon."

"Okay, well...I don't really know where to start," she began, already feeling like that was the wrong thing to say.

"Well, come find me when you do," he stated, beginning to walk away.

"No, wait," she pleaded, grabbing his arm. "I know what I want to say."

No longer leaving, Casey turned around, waiting for her to continue.

"I should have told you, Casey. There were plenty of opportunities when I could have, but I didn't, and I'm so sorry for that."

When he didn't say anything in return, Sydney continued.

"The moment you told me you had feelings for me, I knew I should have said something...I was just afraid you wouldn't feel the same way once you knew," she confessed, looking down.

She could hear his breaths, though she refused to look up at him. His dusty hiking boots were what her eyes focused in on, trying to distract herself from the awkward silence she was existing in. But, she would have preferred to stay in that silence if she had known what Casey was going to say next.

"I'm not so sure I do anymore."

His words caused her to jerk her head up, searching his eyes for any sign of doubt. She didn't want him to mean that, not when she was so sure of how she felt for him.

"Casey, come on. I'm still the same girl you met back in Yorke," she said, trying to make eye contact, but he refused to look at her. "Being an easterner doesn't change that."

"It changes a lot," he said, now looking at her, the storm in his eyes as evident as it was since he found out the truth. "My father was tortured, Sydney. He was murdered by easterners."