❆ chapter five

It wasn't until footsteps thundered up the stairs a few hours later that Nevada realized how much time had passed. Usually, when she talked for long periods of time, her body became drained, her mind craving silence for a while, but this time, she felt nothing of the sort. It had been effortless to talk to Sam. He had been patient with her, waiting as she formed the words she needed to say, and he had listened with his full attention. That was a rarity.

When Carter's boisterous laugh floated over to them, the two turned to find the other members of their cabin climbing the staircase. Their eyes were dancing, loopy smiles gracing their lips as they swayed, the alcohol getting to them.

Carter lit up upon noticing them sitting on the couches. He barreled in their direction, though he had to brace himself on Sam's armrest to keep himself from teetering over. "Here you both are," he said. "We were wondering where you went off to."

Before Carter could question them further, Sam asked, "Who won?"

"We did," Cassidy said, shooting a wink in Carter's direction. "Told you we'd do it."

Carter scowled, but he didn't refute her claim.

"It's almost one," Alicia said after checking the time on her phone. A yawn overtook her. "We were thinking of heading back. I'm exhausted. I want to sleep."

Cassidy nodded. "Same."

"Sounds good," Sam said, rising from his seat. Nevada followed suit, tucking her hands into her pockets as she shifted from foot to foot.

She zoned out as she followed the small group out the front door, their conversation a muffled drone in her ears. Sam held the door open, waiting for all of them to slip through before letting it fall shut. Her attention was only caught when Carter hollered.

"Oi, look you two," Carter shouted, not seeming to understand how loud he was speaking, motioning at a point above their heads.

Nevada tilted her head up at the same time as Sam. Mistletoe had been strung up above the doorframe, the ends nearly touching the tip of Sam's head. It taunted her; she knew what mistletoe meant: she was supposed to kiss the other person beneath it with her. The only person still on the lodge's front porch with her was Sam.

"Kiss, kiss, kiss," Carter chanted. "You know you have to."

"It is a tradition," Alicia said, cupping her elbows. She shot Nevada an apologetic look that did little to settle the nerves that had blossomed in her stomach.

While Carter chanted in the background, Nevada returned her attention to Sam, whose gaze was still fixed on the mistletoe hung above them. It wouldn't be a tragedy to kiss him. He was attractive, but more than that, he was kind and patient. But she had yet to have her first kiss, and she wasn't sure she wanted it to be with someone who was doing it only out of obligation rather than truly wanting to kiss her.

Before she could question the swooping sensation in her stomach, Sam met her gaze for a split second. "Sorry about this," he murmured before pressing his lips against hers. The contact was so foreign that Nevada froze, unsure of how to proceed. His hands didn't touch her; all he did was bend down to reach her, but the action felt incredibly intimate all the same.

His lips were soft. It was the only thought running through her mind before he pulled away. She hadn't even responded. It hadn't been more than a peck, but it left Nevada feeling unsteady.