.two.

HARRY's POV

The message I sent Niall left a sour taste in my mouth. I hated lying, and especially hated lying to him. He had an innocence about him that the rest of us didn't have. He trusted too easily and was often hurt in the process. I hated myself for being one of the people who was currently abusing his trust.

Liam and I had decided we would use a 'working late' excuse and that we would be there as soon as possible, I don't know what weird and wonderful lie Louis had fabricated and I hadn't heard from Zayn all day so hopefully Louis had managed to track him down to let him know of our meeting.

Shaking my head to rid myself of my guilt I hunched my shoulders against the cold wind and looked down at Liam's boots crunching through the dry leaves. These meetings were at the top of my least favourite thing to do – right up there with lying and doing the dishes. I glanced over at Liam's face and saw he was smirking slightly. This was what he lived for.

I almost envied him, but I couldn't bring myself to fully want to be in his position. Any anger or rage that was pulsing through his veins would surely lead to destruction. I had made a promise to myself that I would never let myself get that way.

As the door of the old wooden barn we used for our meeting grounds creaked open my eyes met with Dad's. He nodded in acknowledgement and lifted his chin over to where Hamish was sitting playing with his DS.

I hate that he came to these meetings, but I understood why. It was important to learn where you can from and where you were going.

"Hey buddy, whatcha playin'?" I sat down next to him and peered over his shoulder.

"Pokemon," He quickly shot a glance over at me and returned his attention to his game.

"I can't believe they're still popular," The voice of my older brother, Will, came from the other side of Hamish as he sat down next to him. Will was the oldest of our family and we were like chalk and cheese. Physically we were similar right down to our green eyes and dimple, but he was far more aggressive than I was. He was more like Liam and Louis in that aspect.

"Can I have everyone's attention please?" My father's voice sounded out over the din of chatter coming from everyone in the room. "Is everyone here?"

"Sorry I'm late!" A slender, dark-haired figure burst through the door. He stomped his feet lightly to rid his boots of any debris and looked up, flashing his signature smile before sauntering across the room to sit next to Will.

"So glad you could make it, Zayn," Dad smiled before turning his attention back to the group. "Some of you may be aware of this already, but I felt the need to bring you all together to make sure you all have your facts straight. The last thing we need is someone acting out and causing more trouble than we need."

"Louis!" Liam coughed loudly, followed by a wave of laughter throughout the group.

The smile on my Dad's face was familiar, it was that look of pride a father has for his offspring when he has done something truly amazing. Dad had always been fond of Louis's lust for action. I think I was a disappointment in that way. I was more like Mum and I think that hurt him more than he let on.

"Anyway, as I was saying," Dad cleared his throat. "We have an issue with the Ikati. Again. They have been pushing the boundaries over the last few weeks, but lately it's been quite obvious that they have very little respect for us and our land. Just two nights ago two members of the Ikati were spotted near the Hamba river. They crossed onto our side and spent the night at Pop."

Murmurs ran through the crowd and I watched as people started to react angrily. None of this was news to me, Dad had already told me this morning. Pop was on our land and always had been. We didn't need, nor did we want, the Ikati trespassing on our side of the river.

It didn't take a genius to figure out why they had picked Pop as their venue of choice – it was close to the border, and was full of women and horny men. They would blend right in without causing any suspicion. So far no casualties were evident, but it was only a matter of time before they began to cause havoc.

I looked down at Hamish and could see the fear in his eyes. He had grown up in a world where there had been no fighting that he could remember and I felt my heart ache for him.

"Don't worry about it buddy," I nudged him slightly.

"But ... Mum ..." he looked up at me with wide eyes.

"I know, but I won't let anything happen to you," I looked over his head at Will who's lips were pursed as he mulled over Hamish's words. This just confirmed that he was still too young to be here. He was scared.

"... put their heads on sticks."

My attention was snapped back to reality as I heard these words. Louis's eyes were shining as he obviously finished relaying his 'brilliant' plan.

"No." The word was out of my mouth before I had time to think. I didn't even know what Louis has suggested, but I knew I wouldn't like it.

Everyone turned their eyes towards me in shock and it was then that I realised I was on my feet. I rarely spoke up at meetings, but my heart was filled with the need to protect Hamish and I wasn't going to let another harebrained idea get us in trouble.

"We can't be the first to attack, we need to protect ourselves ... and our families," I shifted my eyes to look at Hamish briefly before looking back up at everyone. I deliberately made eye contact with Louis who looked down at Hamish and I know he saw just how scared he was.

"Mate, I get it, but we can't just let them keep pushing the boundary further and further. Pop has always been our establishment on our land, and now they're in there drinking our booze and leering at our women," Zayn stated.

"They're not ours," I shot back, mimicking the tone he used. "Those ladies own themselves."

"I didn't mean it like that mate and you know it," Zayn scowled, his dark eyebrows furrowing.

"I know, but – "

"No Harry, Zayn is right." Dad's voice cut through our disagreement. "We need to do something. If they're stupid ... or brave ... enough to cross the river and to enter Pop then we need to do something about it."

I held his eye contact for a long time, neither of us budging. I didn't want to do this and he knew it, but I also knew that he would continue whether I wanted him to or not. I wasn't the leader, he was.

"Can we at least ensure there are no ... permanent casualties," I chose my words carefully so as not to scare Hamish any further.

Discussion picked up around me but I tuned it out. I hated this. I hated all of it. They could do whatever they wanted, but I wouldn't be a part of it.

Even as I told myself that I knew it wasn't true. If any of my brothers – blood or otherwise – was in trouble, I would be the first to defend them. They knew that and I knew that.

"Harry, can you please take Hamish home now?" Dad's voice broke me out of my reverie. I made eye contact with him briefly before nodding quietly. "You too, Oscar."

"Bullshit!" Oscar's voice rang out through the crowd. "Dad, I'm old enough. I'm not scared!"

The pleased smirk on Will's face bothered me more than it should. Oscar was barely fourteen-years-old.

"I'm not scared either," Hamish squared his shoulders, glaring at Oscar as he picked up his DS and shrugged on his coat. Contrary to his words, his eyes were wide with fear as he walked up to Dad and hugged him around the waist.

"He shouldn't be here," I whispered to Dad as I placed my hands on Hamish's shoulders and steered him towards the door of the shed.

Dad's face was somber and I knew he agreed with me by the way he bowed his head. This was a problem for the elder members of the group. Children like Hamish didn't need to be tainted with these issues.

***