Chapter 5- It's Coming Together

"The Axel project was started twenty two years ago, it was a project to combine human and fish DNA to create humans that could breath underwater, the genius behind the whole idea was Dr Peter Arisdale."
"That's my papa," giggled Axel
"Peter Arisdale was the smartest Russian scientist our government had ever hired, he found out if you infuse human sperm into a fish egg and keep it to the perfect temperature for both cells to survive, you could make the experiment a reality, the only problem was..." she gets in really close to me so Axel can't hear her "Peter Arisdale is very sick, he is in intensive care at the moment, and they don't think he will get better, The government wants to find out how he did it but he won't give away the secret to creating fish-human hybrids, so they're thinking of cutting Axel open to find out how he works."
"So essentially you want me to go behind the governments back and release the poor son of a bitch before he gets cut up, will this result in my assassination? Because I have a iguana at home that needs to be fed."
"We are going to save his life no matter what, we made a deal."
"Fine, but that still doesn't explain how we're going to get him to the ocean."
"Axel was right about going behind his house, there is a tunnel that leads straight to the ocean, in case there was a fire or explosion and he needed to escape, the only problem is, it's covered in traps and safety precautions in case he tried escaping when it wasn't for an emergency. Before Peter left he forgot to disable the traps, we're going to have to escort Axel through the danger our-selfs."
This is beginning to sound a lot more trouble than it's worth, But I can't miss that office job, my parents would be very proud of me; I guess I have no other options.
"What do we do first Grace?" I say in a defeated manner.
"We need to get suited up for diving, this will be a long journey so we will need to pack food, water and medical supplies."
"How long?" I groan
"Long enough. As you said, the ocean is miles away."
Grace takes my hand and walks to a utility closet, she opens it up and grabs a wetsuit.
"Put this on" she throws it at me. "I look at it, it's black with green stripes down the side," green isn't my colour.
Grace looks through the closet a couple of times, "they never have my size." She  mumbles angrily, "guess it's an uncomfortably small wetsuit for me," she says as she drapes it over her arm. She looks at me, "well? Go to the corner and put it on!"
"But Axel will see me,"
"This storage room can only fit one person Frank,"
"Don't worry Fran-fran, I won't look" Axel yells out from his tank;
I think Frankie is no-longer my least favourite nickname.

I walk to the corner