Chapter 10- Paige

As I walked through the halls after AP Lit, I assessed people’s reactions to me. The under-class boys were prone to drop-jawed stupefaction, the girls to stares of worship and hope that they would one day look the same as I did. Don't wish this upon yourself. I told them silently. It comes with a price. A large one.

The stares from the underclassmen didn't bother me. It was the stares from my fellow juniors that really bugged me. The girls either glared at me with jealousy or watched me pass with unflattering disbelief. The boys were only a slight bit better, either staring at my boobs or at my butt. I refused to let it get to me, keeping my head held high and posture straight, but it bothered me anyways.

I headed to gym class and changed in the bathroom, afraid to let others see my changed body for fear of the questions. I pulled on my sports bra, silently thankful that a sports bra was practically universal for the any bra size. I jogged out to the track in the field behind the school, athletic bag and water bottle slung over my back.

"Parker! You're late!" Ms. Madison said sternly. "That's two extra laps for you! And Parker, don't even think of cheating." She said, knowing full well I hated running. Well, bitch, you got another thing coming. While everyone else only has to run five and I had seven, I'd still be able to manage to finish before them. We set off, and in the beginning I stayed with the pack. Gradually I started leaving them behind, increasing the distance between us to a quarter of a lap, then to half, and eventually I was two laps ahead of them. I lapped them twice and finished a half-lap ahead of them, perspiring slightly and panting.

When I caught my breath I glanced over to Ms. Madison. She was staring at me with an open mouth. "Parker!" She said, disbelief evident in her voice. "What on earth was that?"

"What can I say?" I said idly. "I run fast when I'm pissed off."

"No swearing!" She yelled. "Fifty pushups! Proper ones, no knees! Go!"

I smiled as I dropped into pushup position. Up, down, up, down, up, down... it took me about two minutes to do all fifty. I stood up, dusted off my hands, and glanced around, daring the others to comment. The boys had raised eyebrows and smirks on their faces and the girls were simply glaring at me. Ms. Madison was livid. "Detention!" She said, giving me a deadly look.

"For what?" I said.

"For cheating!" She replied heatedly.

"I didn't cheat. You watched me the whole time. I saw you."

Her face turned an ugly shade of red. "Impudence!" She yelled.

"Fine. Go ahead. File a detention. I'll just go to the principal and get his judgement on whether it's fair or not. I'm sure some of my classmates will provide eyewitness accounts."

"Three more laps, Ms. Parker. The rest of you..." The bell rang. "Fine! Go. Except for you, Ms. Parker. Three laps. I'm watching you."

I smiled cheerily and waved. As I took to the track once more, I saw that at least half the class had stayed behind to watch. I started running at the speed of which a person would generally run the 400. I ran faster gradually, to the point of which that I finished my laps at a dead sprint. My classmates cheered me on, and I waved as I ran by. I winked at Ms. Madison, who glared at me. When I came back from my run, panting, she had already gone inside. My classmates clapped me on the back, laughing, as we made our way inside. It was amazing how quickly I was accepted, now that I was considered attractive. I changed in the locker room, no longer afraid. If they hadn't guessed I had changed somehow by now, they never would.

I headed to lunch, feeling a bit apprehensive. At the end of English class, Max had stalked out of the classroom without a backwards glance. I hadn't seen him since. With him avoiding me like that, I had nowhere to sit.