Chapter 5- Paige

After dinner, I retreated to my room once more. This time, though, I didn't feel like doing homework. Instead, I pulled out a couple of blank pieces of paper and started drawing. On the first sheet, I drew myself as I used to be before I fell off the bridge- long hair, happy, with a have-no-cares expression on my face. On the second sheet, I drew myself as I looked now- boyish short hair, with a confused but slightly stubborn expression on my solemn face.

I put down the pencil once I finished, having drawn all my emotions away, and looked out the window. The sun had just set, which meant that it was almost nine o'clock. I got up, stretched, and got ready for bed. I read in bed for a little while, before turning out the light. The glow from my window caught my attention. I sat on the foot of my bed and stared out the glass panes into the sky. "No stars." I whispered to myself. In New Hampshire, there were always stars in the sky. Here, all there was was this orange glow.

I lay back in my bed and stared at the ceiling, thinking of all the weird things that had happened since I woke up. School. Max. Desiree. Oscorp. Max. Aunt May. Uncle Ben. Max. Max. Max. I turned over in the bed. What was going on with him? With us? I didn't understand why all of a sudden he was so interested in being more than friends. I mean, it wasn't like I was complaining about Max being interested in me. With his reddish-brown hair, straight nose and firm jaw, he was definitely a good-looking guy.

I tossed and turned for several minutes, arguing with myself, until I finally got up and turned on the light. I sat back down at my desk and grabbed the second drawing I had done earlier. I picked up my pencil once more and began to draw. Thirty minutes later, I set it down and studied my work. Now the drawing depicted a young man with light hair, a straight nose, and a firm jaw had his arm wrapped seemingly casually around the shorter girl. I smiled, then turned off the light and climbed back into bed. This time, I fell asleep.

* * * * *

Beep. Beep. Beep. I shot upright in bed, then groaned at the bright light that beat at my eyes. Everything was blurry, too, until I put my glasses on. Today, I thought to myself, today is Oscorp day. Just thinking the name gave me a headache. It was almost as if some part of me was trying to tell myself what I was forgetting.

I got out of bed, turning off the ever-annoying alarm clock. I stretched and discovered an ache in my neck. Wonderful. I stumbled out of my room and down the hall, locating the bathroom with a bit of difficulty. I turned on the water in the shower and waited for it to get hot. There was another mirror above the sink and I studied myself properly for the first time.

I looked much the same as I had in the old world as Thea, with my pale complexion, button nose, slim face and a slight sprinkle of freckles across the bridge of my nose. The only differences was my hair, of course, and my eyes. Sure, they were still the same dull brown color, but at the same time they had changed. They no longer shone with excitement and innocence as they had before the field trip to New York City, instead they looked sad, tired, and hopelessly lost.

I blinked, trying to clear the image. I didn't like the way they looked. Then I turned my back on my slightly abnormal reflection and stripped before climbing into the tiny shower.

After showering, I dried myself off and tiptoed back to my room. I donned the nicest clothes I could find, which consisted of a blue and black striped button-up blouse and a white skirt. I needed to look my best today, since this field trip was occurring on my behalf. Then, a realization struck me. What on earth was my prize-winning project even about? I wondered, considering how much of a pickle I was potentially in.

I began to panic, searching my room for any sign of what it was that I had done my project on. I breathed a sigh of relief when an inspection under the bed revealed a posterboard. I pulled it out and opened it on my bed. I nearly laughed out loud when I saw the title: STEM CELLS: WILL THEY HELP OR HARM? I had written a major paper not two weeks ago with the exact same title. Whoever (or whatever) sent me here had certainly filled in all the gaps.

I read over the poster briefly, it was nothing new. I tucked it carefully under the bed once more and grabbed my backpack before leaving the room. Aunt May was waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs. She looked puzzled as she took in my attire. "Today is the field trip to Oscorp." When she still looked confused, I added "...for my science project." She nodded in understanding and we entered the kitchen together.

Breakfast was the same as yesterday: plain wheat cereal and milk. I ate quickly, it wouldn't do to be late today. I gave Aunt May a quick kiss on the cheek, then headed off to school. I was excited for whatever today had in store. However, I was significantly less excited when the first thing I saw as I rounded the final corner was a pissed off Desiree. She was talking to her group of friends, a disgruntled expression on her face. I strained my ears, trying to hear what she was saying.

"...I don't know what he sees in her... I thought that she... but, I asked him, and he said no... I can't believe this!" She said loudly at the end. Then she noticed me standing there and her eyes narrowed. "What are you looking at, dork?" She spat.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" I retorted mildly, spinning on my heels and striding away with a slight smile on my face. If Desiree was upset, then it was going to be a fine day. Maybe twenty feet from where Desiree and her friends stood, Max was leaning against the flagpole. I made my way over to him, leaving a fuming Desiree behind me.

"Hey Paige." Max said, looking slightly bothered. He ran a hand through his already messed up hair. I wondered briefly what had him so flustered.

"How was your morning?" I asked cautiously.

"Well, when I got home last night my dad was passed out drunk on the couch. By the time I got up, though, he was coherent enough to yell at me." I grimaced.

"Sorry." I said. That was certainly enough to make someone's morning awful.

"It's fine. There's nothing I can do about it." The bell rang. "Anyways, are you ready to head to Oscorp?" He asked.

"Hell yes." I said, shouldering my backpack. We went to our separate lockers and dropped off all the stuff we didn't need to bring, then went to the science room. After a quick reminder about behavior, we all trooped outside to where the bus was waiting.

        I slid into an empty seat and twenty seconds later, Max slid in beside me. "Boys to the left, girls on the right." The chaperone said, giving us a glare. Max sighed and muttered what I was sure was a cuss word before sitting directly across from me. After a quick head count, the bus roared to life and we began the twenty minute drive to Oscorp's facilities.

A/N Pictures of Max (Michael McCaughley) and Paige (some girl from Tumblr, don't worry it's temporary) to the side. Have a lovely day, and as always feedback is welcomed and greatly appreciated!

Evidence of Foul PlayOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara