Chapter 1: Aptitude Test (Edited)

Start from the beginning

I took a few steps back. How can I get myself out of this situation? What do I know about dogs? I know for sure that looking into its eyes could make it think you're challenging it. Shifting my gaze to the left, I sank to the floor to make myself look smaller and less threatening, but I didn't look so far away that it would think I wasn't paying attention. The dog stopped moving towards me, but I can still see the whites of his eyes. He's still unapproachable.

Looking around the room for something to help the dog relax, I remembered the cheese in my hand. I broke off a piece, I lightly tossed it towards him, careful not to move too fast and startle him. He relaxed his stance and stepped towards the cheese, sniffing at it hesitantly.

I laughed softly to myself as it happily took the cheese from the floor. "You're not so bad, huh?" I said, offering the rest of the cheese from my hand.

He took the cheese from my hand, smacking his lips in a content manner before nudging his nose into my hand as though he were looking for more.

Reaching up, I scratched under his chin. "Sorry, buddy, you ate it all." His tongue lolled out of his mouth as I continued to pet him,

"Puppy!" another feminine voice said. This one belonged to a small girl that appeared several feet away from me and the dog.

She stood there in a plain white gown with her arms outstretched. I opened my mouth to warn her, but she runs towards the dog before I can stop her. The dog reverted back to its aggressive state and ran to meet the girl with the shackles raised on the back of his neck and his teeth bared. Without thinking, I launched myself after the dog, catching him before he could reach the girl.

As soon as my arms closed around him, the room went dark.

Suddenly, I find myself standing in front of a door. Without hesitation, I pushed open the door and found myself standing on a bus. All the seats were full, so I reached up to the grabbed the railing above me and immediate, the bus began to move.

I tried to look around at the faces of the people around me, but try as I might, none of them stood out and I couldn't focus on any of their features. Confused, I tried to find a single face that looked normal and found a Candor man sitting beside me, reading the newspaper.

On the front of the paper was a picture of a wanted man. I couldn't shake the sense that this wanted man was familiar, like I had seen his face so many times, but I couldn't tell you where I'd seen it. Frankly, I found it quite unsettling, the feeling the man's face gave me.

The Candor man noticed me staring at the picture and asked, "Do you know who this is?" Stunned into silence, I simply shook my head, unable to meet his unrelenting gaze.

"Lies," he accused. The accusatory tone made me look down at him, surprised more than anything else.

"Please. If you know him you can save me," he looked at me with desperation painted plainly across his features.

"I'm sorry, but I don't know who that is," I lied. I couldn't even figure out why I was lying at this point.

The scene faded and I found myself back in the chair. Looking around, I tried to ground myself back to reality, but I couldn't help the dazed feeling I got from the sudden change in my surroundings.

My eyes landed on Tori sitting beside me, a look of confusion and concern marking her features.

"Am I done?" I asked, uncertain of what to make of her expression. Do I want to know why she's looking at me like that?

Tori swallowed hard before saying, "Not quite yet."

"Is there something wrong?" The look on her face answered the question already, but I wanted to hear it from her. I wanted her to explain.

"(Y/n), your test results were inconclusive," she says. I stare at her blankly.

"At the beginning you took the cheese instead of the knife, that led the simulation to the Amity scenario. You forgot about the cheese in your hand though, which made you use your head. Doing that brought in the option of Erudite, so I put in the girl to see if you would continue to use your head. You didn't. You tried to fight the dog which brought up the option of Dauntless. I then put you on the bus scenario and you lied which rules out Candor," she explained.

"So, you're telling me that instead of one result I got multiple?" I asked.

"Yes. Your test ruled out only one result. Candor. This makes you Divergent," she looked around the room to see if anyone was around before saying the last word.

My brow furrowed in confusion, "What does that mean?"

Ignoring my question completely, Tori leans in and says quietly, "(Y/N), under no circumstance are you allowed to tell anyone."

"Well yeah, we're not allowed to share our test results," I said, still confused.

"No. I mean you should never tell anyone. Divergence is extremely dangerous. Do you understand?" I don't understand. What is Divergence? How is it dangerous?

"I suggest that you go straight home and please...remember what I've told you. It will save your life," she looked at me with a worried expression. "I'm
manually putting in your results as Abnegation, so if anyone asks, that was your result."

I nod and stand to leave. My legs feel like jelly but I manage to walk out of the room and into the cafeteria.

My mind is racing. Amity. Abnegation. Dauntless. Erudite.

Divergent.