Chapter 1: Aptitude Test (Edited)

Start from the beginning

More names called, the shuffling of feet as they get up and make their way to the exit, and the sound of the cafeteria door closing.

Just like the groups before them, they were back in a few minutes and the next group was called. I close my eyes again and hear the names of the next group. My heart-rate spikes when I heard my name.

"(F/n) (L/n)," a woman's voice drones.

I don't remember standing up or telling my legs to walk, but I soon found myself walking towards the doors. A woman stood on the other side, gesturing for me to walk into the door on the far left.

I made my way to the door with my hand on my chest, my heart jumping under my fingertips. Sucking in a deep breath, I close my eyes and try to calm myself but as soon as I open them again and catch my first glimpse inside the room, it pounds even faster.

The walls were made of mirrors instead of glass and in the middle of the room was a reclining chair next to machine that reminded me of the dentist. A dauntless woman was sat in a chair next the machine, her eyes focused on whatever she was doing with her hands.

Without looking at me, she smiled and said, "We can't start if you keep standing in the doorway. Come have a seat." Nodding to myself, I sat in the chair, gripping the sides of it tightly.

"Just relax," she says softly. I hadn't expected her to notice my hands, but she tapped my knuckles which were now white with the effort I was putting into gripping the chair. "Nothing here is going to hurt you."

Hearing her say that made me relax a little. Her voice was soothing, not in the soft and welcoming way that my mother's was, but soothing nonetheless. I took a deep breath and looked around the room to find something to distract myself. The room is pretty plain and I find myself examining my administrator instead.

She seemed pretty tame for a dauntless. She has no piercings and her long sleeves and pants prevented me from seeing any tattoos she has.

"My name is Tori and I will be your aptitude test administrator," she said interrupting me from my thoughts. I nod and listen as she explains the test to me. After her explanation is finished she handed me a vial of clear fluid.

I stared at it blankly before she said , "Drink up."

Obediently, I lift the vial to my lips and drink. It could have been water for all I know; it had no scent or flavor.

I looked around thinking nothing happened but I soon realize that I'm standing in the cafeteria, no longer reclined in the plain chair next to Tori. All the tables have been cleared out except one. On that table are two bowls. Stepping closer to examine the contents of the bowls, I see one held a boring looking knife with a simple, black handle and the other was a block of cheese.

"Choose one," a disembodied female voice says. It sounds like her voice was pressing in from all around me.

I looked around, trying to see where the voice was coming from but there was nothing except me, the tables, and the bowls. Turning my attention back to the bowls, I contemplate the choice that was given to me.

A knife or cheese.

If I pick the knife I'll probably have to fight something, but if I pick the cheese I'll probably have to feed something.

I really don't want to fight something, so I grabbed the cheese. As soon as my fingers closed around it, the bowls and table disappeared. I stared at the spot they were just moments ago, baffled by their sudden disappearance.

From behind me, I hear a low, inhuman growl. I froze in place for only a moment before turning slowly. A large dog had appeared on the other side of the room, his ear pressed back against his head, his muzzle scrunched, and lips pulled back over his teeth. Before I could process what was happening, he lowered his large head, his eyes never leaving mine as he stalled towards me at a slow rate.