Chapter 2: Trio

Magsimula sa umpisa

Kitty: I'll never be someone who hurts you
Bree: I'll never be someone who deserts you
Julie: We have a bond no one is breaking. And if they try, we will still survive

"That was amazing!" exclaimed Mr. Schue when the song was over, leading the room into an applause. We took our seats once again and noticed how unhappy Marley and Unique looked. Meanwhile, Mr. Schue praised us, "See guys, that's how great you have to be for us to take back that first place Nationals trophy this year."

Bree, who was sitting in between Kitty and me, extended both palms and had us high five her. We did so, but I wasn't as pleased as they seemed to be. I loved the trio we had become, but I didn't like feeling so divided with the other girls.

The boys evidently had no trouble getting along, as they showed up the next day with a performance ready. They took a seat in five spread out chairs sitting in the following order: Joe, Dan, Jake, John, Ryder. The rest of the girls and I just took our seats and waited for the music to begin.

["The Reason" by Hoobastank.]

John: I'm not a perfect person. There's many things I wish I didn't do. But I continue learning. I never meant to do those things to you. And so I have to say before I go...
John and Ryder: That I just want you to know...
Guys with Joe leading: I've found a reason for me. To change who I used to be. A reason to start over new. And the reason is you.

I looked over at Marley as Jake started singing. She seemed to be doing her best to ignore him.

Jake: I'm sorry that I hurt you. It's something I must live with everyday. And all the pain I put you through. I wish that I could take it all away. And be the one who catches all your tears...
Jake and Ryder: That's why I need you to hear.
Guys with Joe leading: I've found a reason for me. To change who I used to be. A reason to start over new. And the reason is you.

They all bowed their heads down, except for Dan, who just looked up-- at me??-- and sang with his smooth jazzy voice.

Dan: I'm not a perfect person. I never meant to do those things to you. And so I have to say before I go.
Dan and Ryder: That I just want you to know.

They sang the chorus two more times and the song finally ended. 

***

"I think the new guy has a crush on you," Bree said as she joined me at my locker the next morning.

"Dan?" I said. 

She nodded. "He looks at you," she explained. "Like, a lot."

I laughed. "Lots of people look at each other," I told her. "Like, when we're singing a song. It's the appropriate thing to watch."

"Yeah, but you haven't been doing any solos," she went on. "And he still only looks at you. Totally crushing."

I rolled my eyes. "Look, let's just get to Physics already," I told her. She shrugged and followed my lead. We had just reached the hallway where our class was when we spotted Dan. With that Amity girl.

"Maybe I was wrong..." mumbled Bree. Dan was getting Amity's things from her. She was fidgeting, as I typically found her doing, and he was smiling. Hmm. 

"So what?" I finally responded as we kept walking.

"You better snatch him before she does," said Bree.

"She hardly seems the type," I told her. "Besides, who says I'm interested?"

She chuckled. "Please, you were just like with that Jean dude from Throat Explosion," she said. "Starstruck from the moment you saw him."