Chapter 50 - He Has No Empathy

Start from the beginning

"Let's go," Daniel says with a nod. I nod back in reply, although all I really wanted to do right now was to yell out 'Fuck you!'

Picking up my suitcase, I make my way towards the main door, wondering if, no, when I'll return back here. Daniel is walking ahead of me, his eyes still glued to his phone.

As I exit my house, Asher doesn't close the door behind me. I can feel his eyes on me, making me want to turn back just one more time to meet his eyes, but I can't. Because I know I won't be able to leave if I do.

But outside my house there is parked a beautiful car, it is of a company whose logo I don't recognise. But it is pure black in colour and looks simply magnificent. It, however, seems to be a coupe car with four seats.

But it's so...wow. It must be light years away from my salary.

"That deaf idiot," I hear Daniel mutter once we're right in front of the car. He quickly takes out his phone and makes a call.

I don't have the energy to ask what he means by that.

That's when I spot Mrs.Poppets, an old woman that lives on the ground floor, walking towards me with that small smile on her face. She was gone to visit her grandson, Peter, who lives in Malaysia with his parents. I have no idea when she returned. Probably because I've been too self-absorbed these past few days.

"Jessie! Oh, my dear, how are you?" She says once she's close enough.

Once, I had helped her with chores when she was ill. I had washed the clothes, sweeped the floor, cleaned the utensils and so on.

Yes, I can be an angel when I want to.

Since then, we have some sort of mother-daughter relation between us.

"Great," I answer, with a small smile. "How about you?"

"Marvellous, dear. Peter's already speaking gibberish and he seems to like me a lot!" She exclaims, clearly not noticing the car or Daniel or my suitcase.

"I'm happy for you," I answer, sneaking a glance at Daniel who still seems pissed off.

Well, I have to be happy for others' lives now since I can't be for my own.

"And then, you won't believe it- who's this hottie?" She says, at last noticing Daniel.

Hottie? Hell no. I mean, sure, he's not all ugly but definitely not a hottie. Not in my eyes, at least.

"Uh..." I am not prepared for this. "A friend."

"And this beauty?" She asks, referring to the car. "And that suitcase? You're moving out?"

"He's rich," I say, as if that's supposed to answer everything.

"Put the suitcase at the back," Daniel says abruptly, putting his phone in his pocket. "Sit in the front."

I look at Mrs.Poppets and shrug.

"Gotta go," I say. "See you later, Mrs.Poppets."

Her expression accurately defines the word 'surprise'.

With that, I dump my suitcase at the backseat and sit at shotgun, surprised when I see Daniel get into the drivers' seat.

He revs up the engine and we move forward with such speed that I would've smashed into the dashboard if not for the seatbelt.

Because, kids, seatbelts save lives.

"Jeez," I say. "A little warning next time would be appreciated."

"Shut up," he answers, clenching his jaw.

How dare he speak to me this way?

"Mine your language, Mr.Winston," I say in a stern voice, shocking myself.

His eyes widen at this, but he quickly retains his calm demeanour. He looks at me, then back at the road and then back at me.

Then to the road.

The fuck is he doing?

"Johnson screwed up. I asked him for a sedan and he sends this," Daniel says. "And then the driver vanishes, apparently he's sick and can't drive anymore. Getting a new driver will take time and I've got absolutely no time to waste."

I stare at him with shock.

"Thought it might be alright to share this with someone," he shrugs. "You looked like you wanted to know."

"I did," I admit.

"Music? I mean, radio?" He asks, keeping his eyes on the road.

Suddenly, it all hits me like a truck. This guy just threatened to kill my best friend. He just kidnapped me. He just took me away from my home.

He has no empathy.

So, I don't answer this time.

It's been a long time.

It's nearly the end now.