Chapter 42 - Elliot's POV (Part 1)

Elliot's POV

"Therefore, I'd suggest to cut off the irrelevant expenses on transportation. They want our product, they pay for the transportation," Mr. Wallace, our department manager said, pushing up his glasses.

Jess left me for him. That pathetic excuse for a human. He had tried to sue me, Elliot Smith for inferior reasons.

How stupid.

Yet, Jess found him better than me? How? It's like choosing a small hut made of mud instead of a thousand acre large mansion with your own private chef.

"Nonsense. We are the manufacturer, it should be obvious that they expect us to put some effort. Besides, how much can it cost? A few thousand dollars? We can certainly afford that, can't we Mr. Smith?" Mr. Stone, the President of Pacifocon, my company said.

But I wasn't listening. My mind certainly was elsewhere.

Had I done something to upset Jess so much that she broke up with me? Yes, I had punched her, but that was entirely her fault. She shouldn't have come in between. Though I'd never say that.

Jess wasn't unexceptionally pretty, or talented, but something about her seemed attractive. She was Whiney, my Whiney, my best friend. Of course I had to ditch her in middle school, she was dragging me down the steps of social status. Being with her only meant losing whatever popularity I had.

I couldn't let that happen.

"Obviously Mr. Smith, doesn't seem to be paying attention, does he?" An unfamiliar voice spoke up which took my mind off Jess.

I looked up to see non other than Daniel Winston, the Chairman of our rival company, Empereus. Though we had decided to corporate for a special order, which required both our attention.

"Mr. Winston," I nodded, showing respect, though I didn't want to. He was richer, more successful and more powerful than me. The media, people, everyone respected him more.

And I hated that. Of course, he wasn't very fond of me either. But this order was very important and had to be done.

He nodded back, with a small smirk.

"Sorry for running late," he apologised as he took a seat beside me with sheepish smile.

"Oh, that's alright. However, it's a shame to see a Chairman running late for the meeting regarding the biggest order we've ever been given," I answered, making the other members of the meeting tense up.

Oh, how I love doing this.

"Well, that certainly is one major con of being successful. Just so much work, but how would you know that?" He answered as he shook his head.

I forced a smile. I swear he is the second most annoying person after Ashford who can piss me off faster than light can travel.

"We all have work, yet we manage to make time for some important things, don't we? Well, most of us do. Some just...don't understand the concept of 'time management'. I pity them, really," I said.

"Time management, I say, is very important for success. I suppose I have achieved that, unlike some other people," he shrugged.

"Yes, yes. I pity them too," I said, nodding. Somehow, I managed to keep up my fake smile all this time.

"Oh, so you pity yourself?" He asked, acting shocked.

That's it. I give up.

"I wasn't the one who was," I paused to check my watch. "An entire of half an hour late, am I?"