Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Dane's POV

Joanne and Donovan were up early this morning and making their way to the back door pulling suit cases behind them as I descend down the stairs dressed in yellow polka-dot boxers and a Muppet-print tee.

"Good morning Honey", Joanne says putting down her two wheeler suitcase. "Did you sleep well?" I nod in reply and rub my sleepy eyes. "I left a note on the fridge but since you are up, Don and I need to travel up state and will stay there till Tuesday. My mother has fallen deeply ill and the doctor advised this may not end well. So help yourself to whatever you like dear, if you need a hand with anything, go wake that lazy son of mine. It would do him some good to get out of bed before midday", she chuckles.

"I am sorry to hear that, are you going to be okay Joanne? Is there anything I can do to help?" I ask

"Look after Brandon for me. I know he is a handful but take good care of him please. His grandmother has asked for only her children to go. Brandon adores his grandmother but ask him to call my cell and I will explain."

I move over to hug Joanne tightly and let her know my prayers will be with her. She breaks the hug and straightens up while I observe the sadness in her baby blue eyes. Don shakes my hand firmly, "Son, be good" are the only words that escape as they both exit their modest home.

I remove the note from the fridge and place it on the kitchen counter. Joanne mentions in the note there is money in the cookie jar for emergencies and a handful of pancakes in the oven. Without wasting time, I run to the oven and grab the pancakes, heaven is the only word that springs to mind after I add a can of whip cream and jam to the flour mix. Cleaning up the entire plate of pancakes, I bounce up the stairs as I welcome the sugar rush surging through my body. It was time to get ready to start my hectic day.

Before leaving the house, I peek into Brandon's room. How does he manage to sleep with his legs pinned half way up the wall and his head hanging over the side of his bed? Unable to wake the bag of bones, I add a post script to the bottom of Joanne's note "Bum-face, meet at the basketball court around lunchtime. BTW your mum's pancakes were delish, left you some crumbs on the plate next to this note (happy face)"

Dressed the part, I make my way to Fairfield High bouncing the basketball while listening to a 90's playlist through my I-pod. I start humming along as I stare into the window of a few clothing shops and cafes I pass along the way. A couple of striking brunettes sitting in front of Star Bucks smile flirtatiously but I turn up the volume on my I-pod and look down to the ground to hide the heat building up in my cheeks. A few minutes later, I arrive at school and continue to bounce the basketball through the parking lot, blowing bubbles with the gum I bought at the corner shop.

Approaching the Music Suite, I reach into my pocket retrieving the golden key that unlocks the glass door. Looking into the studio made my heart beat faster as the excitement of playing the grand was only moments away. My piano back home was a 1950's hand me down my grandparents gave me on my 10th birthday, I loved it to bits but do you know how awesome it is to tap the keys of a grand piano. My smile widens as I make my way closer to Studio 12.

A bag with big bulky chains on the front desk catches my attention. 'I've seen that bag before', I think to myself but disregard the suspicion. As I step away from the bag, I become distracted by a jittery sound echoing down the hallway. Goosebumps attack almost immediately.

"Is anyone there" I shout , "Hello, is anyone there" I repeat anxiously.

There is no response to my calls but the trembling continues to echo through the empty hallway. I slowly tippy toe toward the sound and the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I reach the bend in the hallway and take a deep breath before I move any further. '1, 2, 3', I count then step out. Never in a million years did I expect to see what lay in front of me. Outside Studio 2, a large figure dressed in white running shorts, a purple singlet and white runners is stretched out on the freshly buffed floor. The body is convulsing from head to toe and I can hear a choking sound that scared the shit out of me. 'Help' I shout in panic at the top of my lungs, 'Somebody help'. I run over to the helpless body and kneel beside him, I soon realise this is the bloodcurdling giant I bumped into yesterday. 'Is he dying' is the first thought that comes to mind. I gasp when I realise I have no idea what to do. Seconds later, the God's must have been looking down on me because the convulsions slow down and the body flatlines. His head continues to jolt sporadically, I grab my hoodie and place it under the caramel mane. A few moments later, the spasms cease and the bag of muscles flatten out on the grey specked lino. An uncontrollable feeling to protect this helpless soul overpowers me so I raise his head slowly, removing my hoodie and gently placing his head back down to rest on the top of my legs. Moments later, his breathing gradually returns to normal and his dark grey eyes return to their rightful place. I eventually calm down and feel thankful -yes, very thankful this person is alive.

As I sit here with this huge beast resting on my legs, I look up to the heavens to thank whoever helped him & I get through this. Years ago, Mum talked about her cousin that suffered from seizures and I mentally slap myself for not paying more attention. I look down and examine the heavy weight crushing my legs, noticing the perfect solid body that must take endless hours to keep in this shape. What I would do to have a killer body like this. He was obviously a basketball player judging by the singlet that complimented the tall athletic frame. 'When was the last time this pale skin saw sunlight', I ask myself. My eyes move to the toned upper body that lay beneath me and I notice a tattoo on his left arm, an angel lying in the middle of a broken heart, her head resting peacefully on two little hands and musical notes flowing from her mouth. The name Chloe inked at the bottom in calligraphy lettering. I gawk past his chiselled chin whilst bringing my hand to his forehead, brushing back the caramel strands that clung to his pale skin, my touch softening as I stare at the lids that cover the cold grey eyes. Accepting the turn around in events, I snap back to reality only to find that I am still stroking his sweat drenched locks but as I run slow circles around his crown, I look down only to be greeted by a fiery pair of eyes.

Samuels POV

I drift out of darkness and my head is pounding like a mofo. My mouth is bone dry and my ribs ache. I want to yell but the smell of vanilla and the soft motion of finger tips massaging my scalp quickly calm me down. Hey, what the fuck? Who the hell is raping my scalp with their filthy fingers? After the first attempt to open my eyes failed, I take a deep breath and try again. Squinting at the bright light that suddenly appears, my vision eventually focuses and to my disbelief, the dweeb from yesterday is above me. 'No it can't be', I keep screaming inside my head. 'No, No, No'. This little shit is the reason I'm in this mess and now he is cradling me like a baby. 'Get the fuck away from me', I keep yelling in my head. When his soft greens make their way down and zoom in on me, I stare right back and shoot daggers his way. Words are not forming, why the fuck can't I say anything? Get that tongue moving Samuel, open your mouth and form the words 'Fuck off'. To my disappointment, nothing comes out.

The boyish faced kid softens his eyes and I gaze over his pink lips which eventually part and ask if I am okay. I cant help but soak up the genuineness in his voice.

My mouth still refuses to operate, I attempt to reply telepathically, "Fuck-face, if I was okay, would I allow you to treat me like a baby? And while we are on the subject, why the fuck are you here? If I hadn't been thinking about the way you made me feel yesterday, I wouldn't have blacked out and ended up with my head in your crotch. O and for your information, the tears that are about to roll down my cheek are the after effects of my black out, it happens all the time. DO NOT FLATTER YOURSELF and think they have anything to do with the way you made me feel yesterday".

Obviously he didn't get my telepathic message. Instead he removed his hand from my head and placed them on the floor. He ignored the daggers I profusely threw his way by wiggling his butt into a comfortable position. My body starts to stiffen in discomfort because it appears he is planning on staying a while. He looks down at me with a smile which is accompanied by two deep dimples. Why the fuck am I noticing this shit? When it becomes obvious that he is not leaving, I close my eyes and think to myself "Fuck My Life."