Chapter 16

Amelia was floundering. She had lost impetus in the development of the Willi Kissmer project at the art gallery where she worked in Chester. She had sought advice from Willi’s agent, who suggested she visit the Maltrom Gallery in London, where an exhibition of Willi Kissmer’s work was due to be opened. A lunch was in the offing, where she would have the opportunity to check out the ideas presented by that gallery and meet and greet the agent and other people in the business. She would need an escort, and she knew just the man. If her memory was correct, he was currently in London on some caper or other...

Russell Square was busy both with locals and tourists. He was watching with amusement as a middle-aged lady struggled to control her lively Jack Russell terrier, which had taken a liking to the trouser leg of a Chinese gentleman of diplomatic bearing, who was strolling through the square with his wife and two children. His children were giggling at the spectacle of father resorting to aiming kicks at the yapping terrier, now drawing attention from other passersby. Rescue came at the hands of a dashing jogger, who scooped up the dog in one swoop and assisted the flustered lady in reattaching the leash. Apologies were made and calm was restored.

He was still smiling a minute later when his mobile rang. The display revealed it was Amelia.

‘Good morning, Amelia. How are we today?’ he answered.

‘I’m wonderful,’ she intoned. ‘Can I interest you in a lunch, with some culture?’

‘Sounds good to me, but you know I’m in London at the moment with Jenny.’

‘Oh, but I’ve got to be at the opening of an exhibition by Willi Kissmer at the Maltrom tomorrow, Tuesday. It will be rather posh and trendy and an intellectual raconteur such as you on my arm would be more than useful.’

‘Flattery will get you everywhere. Yes, I’d be delighted. Jenny will be out most of the day, updating her aunt. They’re having problems with the granny, who is in a care home. Isn’t Kissmer known for figurative work? Ladies with backless dresses and stuff like that?’

‘The spiel in the brochure is more flamboyant, but in essence you could say that.’

‘I’m staying at the Imperial in Russell Square. Do you want me to reserve you a room, Tuesday and Wednesday?’

‘Oh fantastic, you are a gentleman, but don’t book me in. I’ll only come for the day, and I’ll let you know roughly when I will be there. I’ll need a wash and brush-up if that’s OK. Bye for now.’

Amelia replaced the office landline. It was ten minutes past five, time to be off for the day. She looked up and glanced at the street outside, just as a shadow retreated back into a doorway. Oh hell! She thought. It’s him again. He must be stalking me. This can’t be a coincidence: twice last week and now again and it’s only Monday. Surely the precise opening day of the exhibition can’t be that important, or are there other more sinister motives?