Chapter Ten

GMP had been working hard on trying to identify the perpetrators of the vengeance attack. Whilst at this point unable to connect him with the Sword of Allah incident, a brief description of Hussein had been obtained and this had eventually been matched up with that of the football gang’s assailant. This found its way onto the desk of Chief Inspector Lambert, who delegated it to Detective Maurice Evans for further investigation. As there was always a covert presence in Chinatown, often undertaken by Chinese-speaking detectives, the details of the description were disseminated among them. Three days later a young detective of Chinese ethnicity reported to Evans.

Sammy Wang was second-generation, the son of takeaway shop owners from Stockport with a 2:1 degree in Law from Manchester. He was bright and ambitious, and Evans, old school to the core, felt a little threatened. Wang’s written report was flawless, but Evans still felt he had to make sure before he referred up to Lambert.

‘OK, Sammy, how sure are you about the details in this report?’ he began.

Sammy replied with a confidence belying his years, ‘Very sure, sir. I have known the two informants for two years whilst I have been working the patch, and any information has always been one hundred per cent.’

Evans enquired further, ‘And they both say they have seen a man of Hussein’s description entering the flat above the restaurant on more than one occasion?’

‘Yes, sir, absolutely adamant, sir,’ Sammy confirmed.

‘Excellent work, well done, lad,’ Evans enthused. ‘Let me clear this with the boss and we’ll be getting round there pronto.’

Evans went in to report to Lambert immediately.

‘Think we’re onto Hussein, sir,’ he said, placing the report on Lambert’s desk.

Lambert studied the report for a few minutes before speaking. ‘What on earth is he doing in Chinatown?’

Evans, not surprisingly, had not considered such a question.

‘You got me there, boss. I’ve got no idea. Do you want me to get Wang in?’

‘No, get a car sorted and I think we’ll just get round there. Bring Wang along, though, as we might need a translator.’

The entrance to the flat was down a dingy alley and up a concrete staircase. Rubbish was stored under the stairwell. The door was only answered on the third knock, and with the door slightly ajar all that could be seen was two meat cleavers. A frightened female voice uttered the words, ‘What do you want? Go away.’

With the intervention of Sammy Wang, they were allowed access. The occupants were a young Chinese female and an older Chinese woman who could have been the mother or even grandmother. After trying questions in English, it was handed over to Sammy, who confirmed that the women were in fact grandmother and granddaughter. The place was functional, but about as basic as you could get. Lambert gestured to Sammy to carry on, and for what seemed an eternity the two older detectives stood spellbound as Sammy asked questions and the two ladies jabbered answers at a rate of knots. Eventually Sammy said that he had gleaned all that was possible from the two ladies and nothing appeared untoward, and asked whether Lambert wished him to relate it all now or back at the station. Lambert ordered a watch kept on the place and decided to wait until back at the station where at least there were enough chairs to go round.

With all duly seated and supplied with coffee, Lambert ordered Sammy to begin and leave nothing out.

Deferring to Lambert but also keeping Evans on side, he narrated his findings. ‘The story is that the flat is the cheapest place they can find to live after the father of the younger woman, son of the older, died a few months ago. They are Chinese, from Hong Kong, but their religion is Muslim. They work in a Chinese halal restaurant in Oxford Road, Rusholme, Manchester, which is close enough for them to walk to work. It seems Hussein took something of a shine to the younger woman after meeting her at a mosque one Friday after prayers, and has taken the mantle of protector since they suffered harassment from their boss at the restaurant where they work. He became aware that they were visiting the Chinese consulate in Rusholme in order to get visas to return to Hong Kong, where they have other family members.’

‘Well, blow me!’ Evans exclaimed. ‘I never knew there were Chinese Muslims in Manchester, never mind Chinese halal restaurants.’

Lambert interjected, ‘You learn something every day, Evans. What we need to know now is what Hussein is up to. ‘Sammy Anything on that one?’

‘I’m afraid not, sir. They reckon he has gone away and they don’t know when, or if, he will come back.’

On that score they finished for the day