There had been a couple times recently when she'd caught her daughter glancing over the websites to a couple of the schools she'd applied to, a conflicted, thoughtful look on her face as she'd stared at the screen. Of course, as soon as she'd noticed she wasn't alone, the page would be gone and Nina would be acting like there was not a thing bothering her. Not that she could fool Nadine, of course.

But it was a cue, and a blatant one, that Nina was beginning to think beyond what had happened to her and the world she now found herself a part of. And that was immeasurably reassuring to Nadine. It meant Nina was beginning to grow more comfortable in her own skin again, with who she was, and was beginning to think about what she wanted again over what she thought was expected, what she believed was required of her.

She was, perhaps, even beginning to realize that she didn't have to prove she belonged in this world.

That she didn't have to prove it to Nadine.

To Nadine, it was tangible proof that Nina was truly healing from her ordeal and all the stress the ensuing days after Sokovia had placed on her. That she was learning to bear the weight Nadine had begrudgingly placed on her young shoulders. That she was apparently thinking of picking her life back up again? That she was once again beginning to consider the future that she'd wanted before all of this? That she was genuinely thinking of her future? That she wasn't just going along with this because the Twins were? It was a good sign.

And even if, after all this, she still chose to aim toward someday becoming an Avenger, Nadine couldn't say she'd be unhappy. So long as Nina had really thought it through, if she'd genuinely considered her options and what she wanted to do with her life? So long as Nina wasn't sacrificing what she truly wanted to pursue what she believed she should want? At the end of the day, Nadine didn't care what she chose.

Well, yes, she would care a little. And she'd worry, excessively no doubt, but ultimately she'd be satisfied so long as Nina was happy and free to have the life she wanted.

That was what she'd fought and lied and killed for, after all.

Still, Nadine didn't think that was the path her daughter would settle on. Especially given that Nadine was convinced that this world of Avengers couldn't offer Nina the life she wanted. Not exactly.

Of course, she'd never not be a part of it, not anymore. But she didn't have to disappear into it, either. It was possible, after all, to have a foot in both worlds. It wasn't easy, but it could be done. Stark's sister made that clear. As did Dr. Cho and Thor's friend Dr. Selvig. Even Sam was keeping up his work at the VA on top of his commitment to the Avengers. Recently he was splitting their time rather effectively between the Compound and the world average, everyday people were a part of. And that Rhodes was the same went without saying. If that was something her daughter wanted, it was certainly something Nina could pursue.

But she needed to realize she had that option first.

And she was getting there, Nadine couldn't help but think with a smile as she watched her daughter disappear around the corner with the Twins. With a bit of help, of course. Nadine had certainly been alluding to such things, to options and possibilities beyond the Avengers. Just as she knew her sister had been as well. Nat's mastery of the subtle—and not so subtle—had been on full display the last few weeks...culminating during one of Meg Stark's most recent visits to the facility. Nina had been drawn into an hour-long discussion about the Maria Stark Relief Foundation with Tony's sister thanks to Natasha's meddling; a manipulation that the redhead had been profoundly satisfied with. And more than once Nadine had come across her sister chatting almost too casually in Nina's hearing either with or about Dr. Cho, marvelling about how she balanced her work with the Avengers while still maintaining her own separate research lab in Seoul in the regular world. Once it had been with Sam about his trips back to DC to check in with his old VA office and the people he'd grown close to there. It had been hard to miss the smug glints in her sister's vibrant eyes on such occasions at the determined way Nina had been pretending not to listen.