Kisses and Crutches

The next morning, Finn got up early to try his hand at breakfast. He cracked an egg on the side of a fry pan, like he had seen done before, but for him, half of the egg slid down the side, only partly making it into the pan. 

"You're gonna need a lot more eggs if you cook like that," Sadie said.

"Woah! What are you doing up?" Finn asked, "Go back and sit down, you shouldn't put pressure on the leg. You heard the doc--"

"Finn, Finn, calm down. It's just a hairline fracture, I've gotten worse injuries. Varsity, remember? Plus, it only hurts on the first day." Sadie laughed it off, as she slowly made her way to the dining table, limping. 

After toasting some bread and making what barely passed off an omelette, Finn brought Sadie breakfast. 

"I'm sorry, you've had to deal with my lack of cooking for two meals now..." he began. 

Sadie took a spoon and tasted her breakfast, "Finn, this is great. It reminds me of my mom's eggs."

"Really?" smiled Finn, "How?"

"She's an amazing cook, but one thing she could never get right were eggs." Sadie laughed. 

Finn laughed, "Ohh man, I thought you were actually complimenting me for once."

Sadie turned her head and reached out to rest her hand on top of Finn's. 

"Finn, you've done more for me in these past few days than any other friend. Like I said last night, thank you. For everything." Finn could feel his cheeks getting red and got up to clean the dishes before Sadie could see. 

"Here let me help," Sadie said as she tried to get up. Finn turned around just in time to see that she lost her balance. He raced to her and held her up. "See that's why..." he began, but stopped. This was the first time, him and Sadie had been so close, and suddenly he became self-conscious. Did he smell? Oh God, he hadn't showered in so long...

Sadie turned to look right at him, their eyes connecting. Finn saw the entire ocean in her blue eyes, and then in a moment that neither had control over, their lips touched briefly. They separated and searched each other's faces, as if to ask what now? Finn decided to be brave, he slid his hands to her waist, pulling her closer, to which Sadie responded by running her fingers up his arms to the back of his head. They went in for another kiss, a real one this time. And it was perfect. 

Finn helped Sadie sit down. They were both silent for a while. Finn finally approached her again, "So, um, I called a taxi. We should get you back to the doctor's and get you crutches." Sadie just nodded. The entire ride to the doctor and the entire ride back, both Sadie and Finn looked at each other silently, hiding behind sly smiles. Once outside the house, Finn helped Sadie out of the car, handing her crutches and helping her take her first few steps with them. 

"Finn, um, if you don't mind, can we take a walk? By the water maybe?" Sadie asked. "Yeah, uh, sure. Yeah, we can do that." Finn mumbled. They began walking toward the beach, and Sadie slowed down as the road below her became gravel, then sand, then stopped. "Let's sit." Finn helped her sit and plopped down next to her. They were quiet again, but it was not an uncomfortable silence, it felt like they were exchanging thoughts. 

"So, listen, I'm sorry for earlier today, if I crossed a line." Finn said.

"No, please don't be. I have been thinking, how blessed I am. Today I have everything I ever wanted from life." Sadie replied. 

"So, I'm new to this. I just want to let you know that I, uh, really like you, like really like you. No girl has ever made me as nervous, happy, and excited as you make me all at once. It feels like you were the last missing piece in whatever puzzle I was working on...I'm sorry I'm not that great at...expressing..." Finn trailed off. 

"Finn, every day of my life, I've wondered what it would be like to meet you. I worried about you and Millie. I worried that you already had someone in your life. You saying any of those things to me means the world to me. If I'm at a loss of words now, it's because I can't express my gratitude enough..." Sadie said. Finn turned to look at her. The golden rays of the setting sun seemed to ignite her bright red hair. There it was again, fire. And then, as if to extinguish the flames, there were her kind, blue eyes, which carried every emotion in them. He reached out and put his arm around her shoulders. And they watched one of the most beautiful sunsets the either of them had ever seen. 

Later, Finn got a call, it was Millie. "Finnie!! What happened? We haven't heard from you since we left? Are you and Sadie alright?"

Finn looked at Sadie. "Yeah, we're great, actually."

"Okay, good. The Duffers are sending the driver to fetch you guys, they want the studio doctor to take a look at Sadie's leg and begin rehearsals. So, get packed!"

Finn and Sadie walked back to the house slowly. 

"It's like I've been living in a dream." Sadie said.

"Same, but now we need to figure out how we're going to tell the others. You know, about us." Finn said. 

"Us," said Sadie, "I like the sound of that."