Scars| (Levi x Depressed!Reader)

Start from the beginning

Levi listened as she sobbed, tightly clutching her fist and banging on the ground. What could he possibly say? He was at a total loss of words. He himself had never developed such feelings for anyone, partially due to his rough childhood, but many women, both civilians and soldiers, had found them self admiring Levi from afar. Who wouldn't? He was beyond perfect. His Titan kills were practically unreachable, his body was perfect despite his short nature, he was intelligent, fast, the greatest soldier to had ever entered the Survey Corps.

She, on the other hand, was nothing.

(Y/N) barely passed the trainees as it was. Levi was much older than she, and his rank was far more beyond hers. Her legs quivered beneath her body weight, as she tightly clenched her teeth in order to hold back more tears threatening to escape.

"I only want your attention, but you're a captain and I'm nothing but a mere cadet. I've attempted so many times to have you notice me, but everyone had failed. I attempted training harder, staying up day and night on the field. I began doing more chores than I was already permitted to begin with, I even began waking up to go to the Mess Hall when I knew you'd be there, but..you never noticed me!" She shivered. Normally, she would never cry in front of anyone, especially for something as small as a crush. She felt weak, desperate, her idea of having Levi return her feelings seemed almost foolish.

She collapsed onto the dirt and took a long, deep breath, holding her head back in attempts of preventing tears. Levi still had not replied. He was left to only stare as he girl lay her back against the spring filled grass while she calmed herself from her dramatic high.

He had never been good with people after all.

"I love you, Captain Levi."

The girl closed her eyes and lifted her arm to shade her from the blazing sun. It was only them Levi finally saw long, bloodied scars running from the tips of her wrist up towards the beginning of her elbow. She'd been cutting herself profusely.

It was only then, Levi finally said something:

"You idiot. How could you do something like that to yourself?"

Granted, this was probably the worst thing to say to someone who has been hurting themselves purposely, but Levi had never experienced anything like this himself. The girl looked up at him with pained eyes, but Levi showed no sympathy. "You began hurting yourself because you felt as if you were being ignored by me; but in reality, I wasn't even aware of your feelings to begin with. Do you hear how foolish that sounds?"

Levi swiftly approached the girl and took a kneel, roughly gripping onto her petite hands and squeezing. "Have you been considering suicide, (Y/N) (L/N)?" The use of her name by her Captain simply melted her heart. How was he possibly aware of a mere cadets name? She was not in his squad, nor had she ever mentioned it to him. He leant close to her face, closing the small distance between them. His breath was cool and smelled of fresh mint. It was such an intoxicating scent. His cologne radiated from his uniform, entering (Y/N)'s nasal cavity as she took a small breath.

She had, but due to her pride, she'd never admit it to his face directly.

(Y/N) took a glance at the grass below her, refusing to look back at her ill mannered Captain. Her lack of speech soon proved to anger him, as he rested his rather large hands upon her shoulders and gripped harshly. "Answer me!" His demanding tone failed to soothe the young girl despite his efforts of attempting to make her happy again, but he was growing stressed. He couldn't help himself but shout at her.