Chapter 21: Gardens of Paradise

Začať od začiatku

"Who are they?" Eve asked curiously.

"The chief Maiar of Lord Ulmo," Turvo told her.

Eve sighed. "You guys keep using that word. What's a Maiar?"

"Maiar are the lesser spirits of the Ainur. They serve the Valar," Turvo quickly clarified. "Ossë resides in the crashing waves and fierce ocean currents, Uinen in the gentle sea shore."

"Nice," Eve nodded. "So why did they get a statue?"

"The Falmari are good friends with Uinen, and Ossë teaches them much about sailing. I recognize the sculptor. Calandur is renowned anong the Falmari for his work with stone." Turvo pointed to the inscription. "It makes sense that he would depict them."

"Eve!" Amarië rushed over and grabbed her hand. "Eve, come see this." The maiden of the Vanyar pulled her over to the opposite side of the first 'room'. "This is a depiction of Telperion and Laurelin!"

A large topiary of two trees stood before her. Yellow flowers covered the right one, and silver flowers the left. The flowers moved in the slightest breeze, dancing on the wind.

"Pretty!" Eve nodded quickly and smiled at Amarië. "Hopefully I'll get to see the two trees everyone talks about in person someday."

"Oh you simply must," Amarië responded with an insistent nod.

They continued through the gardens, catching up with the rest of their party soon enough. In the center of the mosaic of gardens, a great circle of open space had been created. Men and women danced upon the green, and in the center a stage of musicians played. Amarië dragged Findaráto out and they joined in the dancing, but everyone else grabbed food from a small station and mulled about.

By the time they finished at the gardens, the light of Laurelin had faded to nearly nothing. The group split up, Nerdanel taking the twins to their own sleeping spot, Turvo, Elenwë, Findo, and Amarië finding Nolofinwë and Arafinwë. This left the two elder sons of Fëanáro with Eve and Findekáno. When they reached their camp, Tyelko, Moryo, and Curvo sat chatting with the Telerin maiden from the race track. Her silver hair was tied back in a high ponytail to keep it out of her face and she wore pants, not a dress, to which Eve was extremely envious.

"Hrávien, yes?" Findekáno asked with a smile as they all sat down to join her.

"Yes," she nodded. "An honor to see you again, my lords and lady."

"An honor for us as well," Káno assured her. "What brings you out our way tonight?"

She shrugged. "Huan found me."

The dog in question barked. He stood and walked over to Hrávien, licking her face. Then he joined Eve and she leaned back into him. Tyelko laughed.

"The maidens keep stealing your dog, Tyelko," Nelyo pointed out with a laugh.

But Tyelko rolled his eyes. "It is because I allow it."

"Of course," Nelyo held up his hands in a gesture of goodwill. His eyes twinkled with mirth. "I meant nothing else."

"Your mother should scold you like she did the Ambarussa," Eve laughed as she saw his smirk at Tyelko's expense. "If you can't say something nice, then don't saying nothing at all!"

Nelyo laughed right back at her. "I can get away with it. I am the eldest."

Hrávien stood, chuckling. "I must depart. My family is here as well. Good night, my lords and lady."

They all bid her farewell. Káno retrieved his harp and set to playing it that night again. Moryo, Tyelko, and Curvo ended up leaving halfway through his song to find more food. This left Findekáno, Nelyafinwë, and Kánafinwë together with Eve. Huan had gone with Tyelko.

Eve sat with her back against the tree again with Findekáno to her side. She felt her mind drifting to sleep. She did nothing to stop it, instead focusing entirely on the music being played by the magnificent harpist before her.

Nelyo was the first to notice that her head fell onto Findekáno shoulder. Even the elf himself did not notice. The redhead scooted closer. "Comfortable?"

"She fell asleep," Findekáno protested innocently as he felt her head on his shoulder. "She must be tired."

But he was just getting started. "You like her, Finno," Nelyo finally whispered.

Findekáno's face went bright red. He said nothing and Káno, grinned alongside his older brother, continued to play without halting.

"You do, by the Valar," Nelyo laughed softly. "This is too perfect."

"Be quiet," Finno hissed in irritation.

"All those hours spent hounding Turvo and Findo, and you end up just like them!" Nelyo fell onto his back nearly in tears from trying to resist laughing so as not to wake Eve. "Your brother sees it too, I am sure."

"No," whined Findekáno.

Káno chuckled. "Yes, definitely."

"Three weeks, Finno. Three weeks." Nelyo patted him on the head, knowing he wouldn't move.

They went to bed after that, though Findekáno didn't sleep for fear of waking the exhausted redheaded maiden. She didn't sleep nearly as much these days as when she'd first arrived, but when she did sleep it was difficult for her to snap out of it. He supposed she found it difficult to blend waking and dreaming.