{VIII} Red Scales and Possessiveness.

“He needs to go home, Vanessa.” Raphael said. She looked up at him, “We can’t help him.”

“We can’t help him?” she questioned and he nodded. “Raphael, he’s a merman.”

“You didn’t do it, they did and—“

“And you’re not at any bit curious to why they did?” she asked. She looked back at James who was asleep on hammock in Raphael parent’s backyard. They had brought him back here last night and told Raphael mom he was drunk and needed somewhere to stay. James was stumbled inside because he was exhausted, which is normal. Raphael had put him outside on the hammock since his mom told him she didn’t want him throwing up inside the house.

“He’s going to cause trouble, I know it.” he said. “It’s better we just leave it alone. They did it for a reason and I don’t want to know as long it doesn’t involve me or you.”

“And if does?” she asked. “Raphael, they turned him into a merman. They don’t just do that for no reason and I want to know why.”

“He’s doesn’t even know why.” he said. “He should just go home, my mom doesn’t want any of the neighbors seeing a drunk young man in her backyard. At least go wake him up.”

“Why me?” she asked.

“It’s your royal duty.” he said and she scoffed, crossing her arms across her chest. “You’re more curious than me.”

She sighed heavily before her arms dropped and she walked over to James who was laying awkwardly on the hammock with his head dangling and his arm covering half of his face. She looked up at Raphael, unsure before she bent down a little and poked James arm, “James.”

The arm that covered half his face thrashed out towards her and she jumped back, a strong blowing passed her. James shifted around on the hammock and continued to sleep.

“How’d he get powers and I didn’t?” Raphael asked, sounding kind of jealous.

“Queen Severina must have also given him her blood, like she did with me.” she said. She bent down and touched James shoulder, shaking it, “James, wake up.”

James groaned, “No Loretta, five more minutes.” he muttered.

“It’s Vanessa, wake up.” she said and he did as she said. His eyes snapped opened, his blue eyes looking right up at hers. She forced him smile, “Hey, how you doing?”

He then groaned and he brought his hand up, rubbing his eyes with the palm of his hand, “The sun, make it go away.”

“James, it’s time to get up.” she said. “You have to go home.”

He removed his hand, “Go home?” he asked and she nodded. He scoffed, “I can’t go home. Not with what’s wrong with me.”

Raphael snorted behind her and James looked behind her, but she ignored Raphael, “James, it’s going to be alright.”

He quickly sat up and she stood up, “Did you do this to me?” he asked. He stood up, “You and that woman—Severina, did you plan this?” he accused loudly.

“Shh!” she said. “Lower you voice. And no, I didn’t. We’re just as surprised as you are.”

“Why did this happen?” he asked, panicking.

“I don’t know.” she said. “But James, you need to calm down. No one can know about this, it could be dangerous for us.”

“Us?” he questioned and she nodded. “Oh no, you’re taking what’s is wrong with me back! Take it back, I don’t want it.”