Dreams

"Dreams"

The dreams came everynight. I was sat at the kitchen table, a knife in my hand, carving something into the table. I could feel it as if it were real. Suddenly and with purpose I get up, and clutching the knife at my side, I walk out of the house. Then I see someone. This is the only part that changes. Always a different person, always a stranger. Always killed by my hand.

Last month I saw part of what I was scratching into the table in the dream. "You w...". This was the first time I became aware of what I was dreaming, while in the dream. I couldn't stop myself, I was a passive observer. Like watching a film. I witness myself stabbing the stranger with full awereness, feeling their skin break as the knife plunges into their soft body.

I slowly became more aware I was dreaming each night. Last night when i found myself in the kitchen, carving my message "you w...". I tried to scream to myself "no more!" I found I had some control for the first time, but the dream had to be completed. One last time. I took the knife and went outside. There was a stranger walking by. I walked straight up to them and plunged the knife into their stomach. Somehow I knew this would be the last time.

The next morning I awoke to find something sticking on my hands. Blood. I ran downstairs and on the table was scratched "you will do it.".