chapitre deux pt. i

Start from the beginning

Kora knew who she was. She could feel it in her blood. Her presence filled the room.

"Kora James, isn't it?" the she-devil asked. Voice that could have trapped the most cunning of men. A command, not unnoticed.

Kora started sweating under that heavy gaze.

"Yes, Supreme," she replied in a small voice. Eyes on the floor, fists clenched and nails digging in the flesh. This was not how she envisioned meeting Tahlia.

"Not yet Supreme," she mused. Kora heard the woman coming closer, and she looked up. The smile was still there. The assessing stare unflinching. The superior witch judging her subordinate. 

"Related to Morgan, I presume," Tahlia continued.

"Yes, she is my grandmother." Blue eyes stared fiercely back at black ones.  Mentioning her grandmother always made her uneasy. She released her hands from their tight hold, and made herself look at ease. She had never been close to her former Supreme: an old witch that left this world only a few days ago. News travelled quickly, and a replacement was even more quickly found.

Kora was sure the Supreme knew who she was. She didn't seem like the type to be uninformed, specially concerning her own Circle Witches. 

The not-yet-Supreme came closer, her cloak brushing past Kora's shoulder, as she stood in front of the window, staring at that same courtyard. Kora turned as well. But she staring at the witch in front of her. Incredibly young to hold such a position, and yet, her eyes were old and knowing. The smirk was gone. A slightly bewildered expression settled. An incredibly human emotion. So strange to see it on her face. It was out of place.

"I never cared much for crowds." A soft voice in the silence. Gentle, and smooth, but with an unwavering strength beneath. Pale fingers were touching the window, red nails clicking against the glass. 

Kora knew, in that moment, she was looking at yet another young witch, burdened too much, too soon. They were two sisters that were out of place. Kora had just met her Supreme, and perhaps, it was the small age-gap, but she understood, to some extent, Tahlia. Perhaps, some good things would come out of it.

"It is custom, for all circles to be present at the Ceremony."

Kora wondered if she should have kept quiet. The Supreme still stared, something like longing and doubt, echoing in her features.

"We used to be untethered. I sometimes wonder if all these rules and traditions are indeed necessary."

An odd thing for a Supreme to say. She was to become the physical embodiment of coven Laws. Kora was surprised by this strange creature; in only a few of minutes, she already showed an unconventional way of being.

Tahlia looked up. She finally cast that burdening gaze on her surroundings, eyes seeming to stare at the Fool for a second too long. Kora didn't move, nor say anything.

Finally content, Tahlia heaved a small sigh, ending the momentary break of character. She pulled her cloak up. Now, a true Supreme stood before Kora. Not just a witch anymore, or a young woman in doubt. A powerful being, that would lead until her death.

" Let's join them, Kora." Tahlia did not turn around, as she left the room. Her steps nearly silent on the wooden floor.

The Fool stared. Kora followed.

2017

"You are beautiful. You are strong. You are kind. Be yourself. Be true to who you are and all will be well. I believe in you. I belie-."