0 | His Guide

"You are his Guide, and it's your job to direct him onto the proper path."

"But what if I can't do it?" the girl inquired. Shaken nerves quaked within her body and her stomach twisted into knots. This was her first assignment as a Guide and she was nervous about doing it right.

She had just graduated from Guardian school at the top of her class. The Elders were so pleased with her that they thought she was ready to be assigned to someone below.

What if something went wrong? What if the person they had selected her to guide, didn't listen or went down the path that wasn't chosen for them?

In this world there are beings known as 'Guides' that are akin to Guardian Angels; but instead of protecting you, Guides were ones who guided you to your true fate.

There were several rules to abide by:

Don't interfere with the Chosen Person's personal life.

Don't get too attached.

Don't develop feelings for the Chosen Person.

And don't mix with the Bad Ones.

The Bad Ones were evil, manipulative and demonic; the complete opposite to the Guides.

Her mentor, who was a middle-aged man with round glasses and a kindly face, assured her, "you won't mess this up."

"But..."

"You won't." His gaze turned firm and he wouldn't let her protest any further. "After all, you two are destined to be. And as you were the top of the class, I have full faith in you, and know you will do your utmost to get this guy to where he is supposed to be."

Aera, who was still contemplating whether or not she could do it, snapped out of her thoughts when she took a look at the picture attached to the file her mentor had just tossed on the table.

"This is him?" She did her best to not let any expression show on her face.  You mustn't develop the slightest bit of feelings towards your Chosen Person. You mustn't develop the slightest bit of feelings... She sucked in a breath and took back her composure. "So, this is the guy, huh?"

"Yes, his name is Woosung, and you will be assigned to him."

"For how long?"

"Until he doesn't need you anymore."

"Mm." She got to her feet and shrugged on her jacket. "Well, I'll take my leave then."

"Yes." Her mentor then spoke up just as she was a step out of the door, "keep in mind Aera, he is nothing more than an assignment."

With one hand on the doorframe and her face turned slightly to the side, she replied, "yes sir, I'll bear it in mind." Yes, I'll remember.

Oh, but how quickly she forgot the most crucial rule.

Rule number 3:

Don't develop feelings for the Chosen Person.