Chapter 50 Mehndi part II

Start from the beginning

After couple of seconds, Hoorain returned holding the glass of water, protecting it from the people passing by.

"Here." She carefully handed the glass to Zoha. "I could hardly find the glass in the kitchen. I looked in all the cabinets."

Zoha took a sip of water to quench her insane thirst and then said. "Wasn't Rumina there?"

"No."

"Weird. Today is the big event and she is not there."

"Maybe Saliha aunty sent her away," Hoorain said, watching as Zoha drank.

"I don't know if she had."

"Khair," Hoorain said. "Be ready. There is going to be another rasam. Haldi wali. (Turmeric paste)."

"Waqai?" Fariqa jollied.

"Why do they do that?" Zoha said.

"It gives a glow to your skin. When tomorrow you dress up for the Nikah, you will look extra beautiful."

Zoha felt shy whenever anyone mentioned her about looking beautiful. She didn't think she was that beautiful. She was decent looking.

After Hoorain told there will be another rasam, Zoha started imagining how all the tumeric paste would look on her. This was the rasam that she wasn't really aware of, because she never went to anyone's mehndi function nor was she never invited to one. Hoorain had a big family and she always had something going on. That was how she knew so much about wedding events and Zoha often found herself lucky to be best friends with her. She always guided her.

"What about my mehndi?" Zoha said.

"There are two girls who will put it on," Hoorain said. "Hold up." She got up.

"Take this glass too," Zoha said,

Hoorain took the glass that had some water left and placed it on the table nearby. Then went over to the two girls who looked about in their early twenties; they were dressed in decent kurti and matching tights. Hoorain spoke to them and after some sort of agreement they came over.

"They are going to do your mehndi," Hoorain said.

"Okay." Zoha settled in the position she was most comfortable sitting and took off her flower bangles.

One of the girl, in medium long ponytail, wearing sea-green designed kurti, and white tights, sat on the left of Zoha. While the other one who was a bit taller than her, sat on the right. They picked the mehndi cone and tested the mehndi for its flow consistency. For the most part it came out good on the tissue. It little bit got stuck in the beginning, which was normal since all cones worked that way.

When they finally started putting the mehndi, Zoha made sure she didn't move. She thought holding her breath would stop her shakiness. But it made her more out of breath and then pant. So she determined to stay normal and go with the flow.

After some time, Saliha came around to see how things were with Zoha. She was smiling ebulliently.

"Chalo mehndi toh start kardi. I was just about to ask the girls." Saliha's dupatta was hanging down her shoulders, covering half of her body. It didn't seem to bother her, as if she had dealt with the georgette enough and had given up.

"Jee aunty. I just told them," Hoorain said.

"Thank you, beta. You are a good help," Saliha said, giving a wide, blissful smile.

"Arey, aunty, koi baat nahi."

Saliha didn't stick around for longer. She went back and blended in with the guests.